Thread: warm weather detailing

warm weather detailing

it's towards the tail end of summer, where I live but it's still high 90's, and it's just come off some 100 degree plus days. I don't have a climate controlled garage but try to wait till evening when the weather has cooled down a little and the car paint isn't warm anymore. When I'm polishing, I've been using the Flex XC 3401 VRG, and after just a few seconds of buffing, the polish is caking up and the Flex is actually spitting out little chunks of dried compound. I've tried adding a little more lubrication to the pad to hopefully luibricate the pad and compound a bit more, as the pad is also getting quite warm. Any ideas what my issue may be and possible fixes? I've also been using my torq 10fx, for smaller panel areas and it seems to work a little bit better though the polish seems like it's still drying up after a little bit of usage.

which polish are you using? are you brushing out the old polish after every 2x2 section?

You are working in the heat, cutting paint which generates more heat. Basically you are cooking your compounds. Your using a Flex so that is a advantage slow everything down the polisher speed, arm movement, use less pressure, try using water based compounds you can add moisture back in with spritzing pads with distilled water to open them back up. Lighter polishes more aggressive pads. Compounds generate more heat. Don't use MF pads. Compounds with heavy solvents will flash faster on you from the heat and it's harder to get them going again by adding moisture back in. You can also mist the panels with ice water which is a old trick to cool the panels down. Keep your pads clean. I use a toddler tooth brush and compressed air. I would clean your pad after each section. That's all I have for you man. It's the heat and heat from the process of cutting paint.

Holy cow, that too hot to detail. If the weather is 90+, the paint is a lot warmer and things tend to dry out fast and working in this type of temperature is unbearable. When temperature is too hot, you can burn paint even when using a DA, need to remember that the Flex 3401VRG is force rotation. If the surface is too hot too touch, I recommend tackling the job another day. Time is money.