Thread: Clay

Clay

I used heavy clay on my daughter's Kia SUV this weekend and I can see spots and lines in places. I think I should have used the medium clay. I`m hoping I can use some polishing compound and buff the vehicle and I will be okay. Please advise.

Clay is an abrasive. All clay causes marring. You should polish after using clay. Start with a light polish and a white pad. If that doesn't get it, move to more aggressive pad, then more aggressive polish.

Thanks, that`s what I will do.

Hey guys, this is true unfortunately. Marring occurs when you use the heavy clay bar, and you will need to polish to remove it. I use the clay block myself, but my car is newer, and therefore doesn't need the removing power of the heavy clay bar.

Just to be clear, the clay block causes marring also.

If you drag, push, rub anything across paint you stand a chance to induce marring. You always want to use the least aggressive method first whether you are compounding or claying. With decontaminating paint depending I start with chemical always. You also do not need large quantities of chemical to do a decon. You can do a bad average sized car with 500 ml. When I go to mechanical I know I might be able to use a fine clay, block or towel to finish. When you start using clay you can grab a plastic shopping bag from any store put your hand inside like a glove and glide your finger tips across the paint and you will feel all the junk stuck in the paint. Keep claying with plenty of lubrication and by plenty I mean excessive. I usually use between 16 and 32 ounces pending amount of real estate and how bad the paint. It's rare that you would need heavy clay usually it's for spots that may need it.