Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Flex C9

Carbon Flex C9

Well I took advantage of the 30% off sale and picked up C9 coatings. Basically with the discount, I paid full price for the C9 and got the trim coating for free. I was going to pick up only the trim coating since I've seen a couple of good reviews here on it. My vehicle sits outside 24/7 and the black trim is a pain in the you know what to keep looking good, C9 seems to be the longest lasting product giving great results. Well then I thought, why not go all in and pick it up for the rest of the vehicle.

So I know I'll need to wash and then use clay bar to decontaminate. Here in lies my questions. Do I put the C9 right on the freshly decontaminated paint? I'm confused on where the C9 fits in to my full detail routine. I'd Imagine I can top it off with Wax as usual, but unsure if it goes on bare paint or applied over top of the White Light. I'm inclined to believe towards OVER White Light, then topped with wax? Would Jet Seal over the C9 be redundant?

My full detail revolves around the CG Flow Chart, I do the following for full detail:

Wash
    Clay
    White Light
    Jet Seal
    50/50 or Pete's 53
    V07 Detail Spray

All thoughts on this and any tips regarding applying C9 are most appreciated.

No glaze or sealant with the C9 coating. You need to wash, clay, polish, then wipe with isopropyl alcohol 15% solution and distilled water to remove polishing oils (or CG WipeOut).

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    Well I took advantage of the 30% off sale and picked up C9 coatings. Basically with the discount, I paid full price for the C9 and got the trim coating for free. I was going to pick up only the trim coating since I've seen a couple of good reviews here on it. My vehicle sits outside 24/7 and the black trim is a pain in the you know what to keep looking good, C9 seems to be the longest lasting product giving great results. Well then I thought, why not go all in and pick it up for the rest of the vehicle.

So I know I'll need to wash and then use clay bar to decontaminate. Here in lies my questions. Do I put the C9 right on the freshly decontaminated paint? I'm confused on where the C9 fits in to my full detail routine. I'd Imagine I can top it off with Wax as usual, but unsure if it goes on bare paint or applied over top of the White Light. I'm inclined to believe towards OVER White Light, then topped with wax? Would Jet Seal over the C9 be redundant?

My full detail revolves around the CG Flow Chart, I do the following for full detail:

Wash
    Clay
    White Light
    Jet Seal
    50/50 or Pete's 53
    V07 Detail Spray

All thoughts on this and any tips regarding applying C9 are most appreciated.
    I don't see polishing on this list. You need to remove all your swirls and imperfections before coating, or you are just going to be protecting your swirls! You need a polisher like a TOrq or a Porter Cable, and use an orange pad with V34, and a white pad with V36.

Thanks for the comments. I should mention I've got a 2015 with paint that's in pretty good shape and I'm not doing this as a business venture, this is specifically weekend warrior driveway detailing. I've really not seen any swirls in it. I do want to get a polisher, and it seems like the Porter Cable is a good one for a beginner. I don't want to burn though paint

Definitely. Get you a PC and a kit from CG with pads and the V line of polishes and polish it! You should polish it annually. If you don't polish it, I'd put the coating away until you do and continue with your current procedure. That coating is expensive and if you are not going to prepare the surface, it's a waste of product.

The trim coating though is fantastic and doesn't require anything but cleaning the trim.

Thanks for your input Kirk, it has been helpful. So I still haven't applied the C9 coatings yet, but thinking about this I have some questions. Once I go through the process of applying the C9, do I top it with White Light and then a wax or only wax?

You mentioned that I should polish once a year. After the C9 has been applied, so I still need to polish--say next year? Wouldn't that have a negative effect on the C9?

I happened to find some P40 Polish laying around that I've not used but seems to be a suitable product for my vehicle considering the lack of really noticeable swirls in it. VSS seems to be similar to P40 from what I gather. Really looking to do the polish in as few steps as possible considering the age and condition of my vehicle--it really is in great shape.

Last, a polisher. I know Porter Cable is a good one to get for beginners, I haven't much experience with a machine and prefer to get something that puts me in the best position to avoid damaging paint. This one seems to fit the bill nicely and is priced nicely considering I'm not doing this professionally, more so as an enthusiast. Are there any others that I should be considering?

Appreciate any helpful comments and insight. Thanks!

Hi Jay,

You're completely right, polishing your paint would completely negate the effect of the C9 because you'd essentially be taking it right off. That's why Kirk recommended you take out most of your scratches and swirls before you add the C9 so that you protect a perfectly polished vehicle. Also, the fact that it is quite expensive means you want to use to its full potential.

As far as polishers, for enthusiasts, the Porter Cable is a darn good polisher to start off with. It's built in safety features really gives you the time to really relax and not worry about damaging the paint. I also recommend you check out the TORQ10FX, they both have many similarities that make it easy for beginners. It is a lot smoother and its counter-weight balance because of its lightweight construction with vibration reduction technology puts less stress and fatigue on your arms.

Javier, thanks so much for chiming in.

So Kirk's statement of doing a polish every year is applicable to use of Sealants such as Jetseal. Once C9 has been applied, I do not want to polish as that will remove the C9 coating. Correct? Sorry for the question on this, as you said, the product is expensive and I want to make sure I have a full understanding before using it!

Where does White Light fit in once the C9 has been applied? Do I put this over C9 and under my Wax?

As for the polishers, those seem to be the two I've been reading about. Does the Torq10FX have similar safety features as the Porter Cable does? That is my biggest concern, I don't want to have to worry about damaging the paint. As I've said, my use is as a weekend warrior, driveway detailer. I am not a doing this as a business venture.

Thanks again for the insight!

Yes, Kirk's statement applies only when C9 or Second Skin is not present because both of those last longer than a year. Theoretically, the C9 will protect you from most so you won't need to polish. Of course, you're going to want to still be careful the way you do your washes, prevention is key when it comes to detailing because although you have C9, it can't protect you from our own mistakes. Trust me, people think C9 protects the paint when they decide to sit on it!! hahah

White Light fits right in after you put on your C9 and under your wax.

Yes, the Porter Cable does have the same safety features installed. You can't go wrong with either but the TORQ10FX has slight features that make it easier and more comfortable for the user. Since you said you're not doing it as a business, the Porter Cable is a bit cheaper and will work amazingly well for the weekend warrior. I actually bought my dad one for Father's Day and he recently just began detailing bc he saw how great I'd leave my mom's car when she brought it to me. I've taught him the essentials but practice is always better when learning and he's loving the Porter Cable.

Javier, thanks man. That clears up my questions. For now I appreciate your input and the presence we've been seeing from you and the other mods as of late. Very helpful!