Thread: Backing plate question

Backing plate question

I just got my torq 10fx kit and was wandering on what backing plate to use?
    Yes I'm a rookie on this.

What sizes came with the kit?

You want to use the correct size plate for the pad size you want to use. The most common pad sizes are 3", 4", 5.5", 6".

If you are polishing a pillar for example, you may want to use a 3" pad, so you need the 3" backing plate. Without the right size plate, the pad will flatten out when they spin and spray polish if pad is too big, and using pads too small you risk hitting the plate on your paint.

it came with the yellow 5 inch backing plate and a red 5 inch backing plate. I was wandering on which one of those to use?

Looks like the red is more flexible. It may work better on curved body lines, pillars, etc. A firmer plate may provide more uniform results.

AS you learn remember this is an art, not a science. Car paint softness, age, type of polisher, type of pad, type of polish and technique are all variable factors. You have to test it out and see what gives YOU the best results.

Always do a test spot, always start with the lightest polish and the lightest pad that you think can get the results yo are looking for.

My car is a 2007 vista blue metallic ford mustang gt with really light swirls kinda like what the mustang they used in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8wvc4linww&t=351s

Sweet!

Being a 2007, I would give it a good clay with medium clay. I would start with orange pad with V36. Go slowly, 4-6 passes over a 2X2 area. Remove the polish, then wipe with a 15% isopropyl alcohol solution to remove any polishing oil so you can really see the results. Use a good light or preferably sunlight. If the swirls are gone, follow with a white pad and V38. If the swirls are not gone your options are:

a. same pad, same polish, longer work time.
    b. more aggressive polishes (V34, V32)
    c. more aggressive pad
    d. more aggressive machine

Again, polish with white pad and V38.

Clean your pads with a pad cleaning brush often! Change out to new pads or clean with pad cleaner every 2 panels.

Then seal with a blue pad, wax with a red pad or coat. Post pics of shine!

Ok v36 with orange pad , v38 white pad, black light glaze blue pad. What would be a good pad for jet seal red or black?

blue for jet seal

black or red for wax