Thread: Clay Block usage

Clay Block usage

So I purchased a clay block to use on my 2016 Dodge Dart GT black in color. So after washing the car and drying it I started using the clay block. I used large amounts of clay luber but when I wiped off the section I was working on I noticed that I left what appears to be some scuff marks maybe marring of the paint. Not a hole lot but you can see it when up close. This happened on two sections of my car so I stopped the claying process. Did I do something wrong and what is the easiest way to fix it? I was thinking maybe VSS using a dual action polisher but before I ruin my paint I want the thoughts of the experts. Thank you

I'm no expert, but I do know that claying can produce micro-marring. If you're working on a car that has never had any type of decontamination done, I'm a big fan of doing both chemical (iron remover) and mechanical (clay) types. Odds are you did not do anything wrong....what you're seeing is the micro-marring. Remember, black paint shows everything. Make certain that you lube the block as well as the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I'm no expert, but I do know that claying can produce micro-marring. If you're working on a car that has never had any type of decontamination done, I'm a big fan of doing both chemical (iron remover) and mechanical (clay) types. Odds are you did not do anything wrong....what you're seeing is the micro-marring. Remember, black paint shows everything. Make certain that you lube the block as well as the surface.
    what would be the best way to remove the micro marring?

You should always polish with a dual action orbital polisher after claying the paint. I recommend claying the vehicle only 1x per year, followed by a polishing with cleaner wax.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    You should always polish with a dual action orbital polisher after claying the paint. I recommend claying the vehicle only 1x per year, followed by a polishing with cleaner wax.
    I only clayed two small sections and saw the marring so I stopped. I dont have a DA polisher yet. So I washed the car with blacklite soap and used blacklite glaze and butter wet wax after. Marring is still there but only visible when up close. I have a friend with a DA polisher. Should I use VSS with a white pad to correct the minor marring?

I'd go with Cleaner Wax, Deep Reflections XP glaze/wax, All In One Polish + Sealant or P40 Polish+ in that order before VSS. VSS is an aggressiveness level "6" on Autopia's Polish Comparison Chart. That marring will probably go away with a polish of aggressiveness 1-3 like Cleaner Wax or All In One.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    I'd go with Cleaner Wax, Deep Reflections XP glaze/wax, All In One Polish + Sealant or P40 Polish+ in that order before VSS. VSS is an aggressiveness level "6" on Autopia's Polish Comparison Chart. That marring will probably go away with a polish of aggressiveness 1-3 like Cleaner Wax or All In One.
    I do have scratches and swirls on the hood as well thats why I was thinking of using the VSS