Thread: Polishing large vehicle in multiple days

Polishing large vehicle in multiple days

I have a chevy tahoe and would like to do a 3 step polish but do not have the time to properly finish in 1 or even 2 days. Can I didn't say 1/4 of vehicle every weekend for a month sealing and protecting as I go ?

Your plan will work. I'd recommend starting at top, moving to front/hood,trunk/bumper, and finally side doors. As you do each section stop at a natural break in the body panels. Depending upon the sealant your using may want to give quick light second coat to entire vehicle once you've been around all the sections once.

Quote Originally Posted by chris L View Post
    I have a chevy tahoe and would like to do a 3 step polish but do not have the time to properly finish in 1 or even 2 days. Can I didn't say 1/4 of vehicle every weekend for a month sealing and protecting as I go ?
    If you do a panel at a time, just remember that you will need to wash and clay the panel right before you polish. Don't wash and clay the entire truck and then piecemeal it. Wash, clay, polish, the roof. Then wash, clay, polish the hood. Etc.

Exactly what Kirk said. It'll be more time consuming and require much more effort if you wash and clay the whole truck the first time because you will have to do it again each time you do a new panel.

Thank you for the info and peace of mind. This is exactly what I had in mind. Just giving it a good wash and then only claying and prepping the panels i plan to polish at that time. I love doing this and wish I had more time!

No problem, Chris. Detailing seems to be in our blood, we can't get enough! Keep us updated with pics when you're done!

It takes me a full 2 days to do my Tahoe. And to make matters worse....it has a 6" lift on it! But usually my wife understands and lets me at it undisturbed for the duration.