Thread: How do YOU attack a FULL exterior detail?

How do YOU attack a FULL exterior detail?

I took two days off from work next week to dedicate to a full exterior detail to my Supercrew black F150 (wife is pi$$ed lol). Here is how I plan on attacking it. Let me know your thoughts. The times I listed are hopefully worst case scenario. I have a lot of work ahead of me.
    Day 1
    Clean the engine bay (CG Signature series orange degreaser) and apply CG Black on Black (1-2 hours)
    Decon whole exterior (CG Decon Pro Iron Remover) and rinse (30 minutes)
    CG Stripper Suds entire vehicle (two bucket method) then dry CG Waffle Weave Drying Towel (1 hour)
    Decon, clean, polish, seal, wax all 4 wheels (removing each one at a time) using CG Pro Iron Remover, CG signature series wheel cleaner, v36/pads/polisher, Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish Gloss Enhancer and Sealant, CG Wheel Guard Max Coat (4-5 hours)
    Clay & rinse (2 hours)
    10.5 hours total

Day 2
    Foam Cannon entire truck (CG Glossworkz Gloss Booster and Paintwork cleaner), rinse and dry (1 hour)
    Polish (CG V36/V37, orange/white pads (6 hours depending on 1 or 2 step)
    Black light Hybrid Radiant Finish Gloss Enhancer and Sealant (1 hour)
    V7 High Gloss spray sealant (30 minutes)
    Black wax (1 hour)
    Resore plastic trim(1hour)
    11.5 hours total

Any steps you can think to make it more efficient/faster/easier?

Looks about right to me. You do not have to do the second wash after clay.

Vo7 goes after the black wax.

Day 1 - 2nd wash after decon is optional...I do it to make certain I have a clean surface to work with. Your wheel regimen might be excessive, but, if it makes you happy, then go for it. Assess their condition and make certain all that is warranted.

Day 2 - I'd be hitting it with JetSeal and Petes 53, but thats based on experience with those products....and on a black truck, your results will kick a$$

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Looks about right to me. You do not have to do the second wash after clay.

Vo7 goes after the black wax.
    Yeah, I'm only going to foam and rinse, not really 'wash' it. And I'm only doing that since it will be sitting outside overnight after I'm done claying.
    With V07, I was thinking the same thing about it going on after the wax....but I asked CG (in the 'ask cg' forum) and they said it should be ok after blacklight to help add as a sealant before wax. (I dont have I jetseal or any other 'true' sealant)

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Day 1 - 2nd wash after decon is optional...I do it to make certain I have a clean surface to work with. Your wheel regimen might be excessive, but, if it makes you happy, then go for it. Assess their condition and make certain all that is warranted.

Day 2 - I'd be hitting it with JetSeal and Petes 53, but thats based on experience with those products....and on a black truck, your results will kick a$$
    You're absolutely right, my wheel cleaning regimen is excessive LOL. But they're gloss black....inside and out....with chrome. How could I NOT be excessive lol
    I've heard good things about Petes 53....will be in my cart on next checkout for sure along with JetSeal

of course...we'll need pics

I agree, v07 as a topper for the wax, though if CG gave you a recommendation there's certainly merit to their suggestion. Pete's 53 is wonderful to work with and seems to last as good as any others I've tried. It is now my go to. What I like about it is that it's almost as easy to apply/remove as a liquid wax but has a longer durability than liquid. I think 50/50 held up a little better but Pete's does well enough for me. Especially considering how easy it was to apply and remove. Jetseal is a good product. I tried Activate Shine & Seal for the first time last fall. MUCH easier to use. That may help cut down some time. I don't know that I noticed a difference in durability between the two, they seem comparable.

I'll post before/after pics, of course
    I took Thur and Fri off, but my tracking says my order wont be delivered until Thursday. I was hoping to knock out the engine bay on Wed after work. And now with possible rain in the forecast over the weekend, my project may not happen this week.
    I've never been so disappointed about possibly NOT being able to do two days of manual labor lol
    Thanks for the tip on Pete's 53. I've read good reviews about it...CG recommended to me as well, so it may be replacing my Black Wax after I try it out.

AAAaaaand now its gonna rain on Saturday

Sound like my type of clean!!! I've been waiting for the rain to stop so I can attack my ride!! And 2 days off....sounds like my type of game plan as well! Let's see some pics!!!