Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me get this right

Help me get this right

Let me start by saying I've never done this before....how many times have you heard that?

I just picked up a new project, it's a 48 Chevy car that the owner was restoring when he passed away. It doesn't have much left to be finished and I'm wanting to do as much of it myself as possible. One of the things it needs is to have the paint job finished. It was painted about a year ago but was never color sanded or touched after that in any way. There are a couple runs in the clear coat I will need to sand out and plan on wet sanding the whole car while I'm at it to get a smooth finish.

After a lot of reading I placed an order last night and want to get your opinions on if I got everything needed or not. First off, here is the car I'm working with...

You can see the orange peel and runs in the trunk here...

-I started the order with the TORQ kit that comes with the orange, white, blue, black, and red pads, cleaner spray, and towels
    -I added 2 more orange and 1 more white pads
    -16 oz kit with V32, 34, 36, and 38
    -JetSeal sealant (accidentally grabbed the 4oz, I hope this is enough)
    -50/50 wax (free because I spent over $300...WIN!)
    -Cleaning brush for pads
    -Black hand applicator pad
    -Happy ending microfiber towel

My plan is after wet sanding to hit the car with the orange pad and V36 and see how that works and move up to V34 if it's needed. I will be wet sanding to either 2k or 3k grit, not sure yet.
    Switch off to the white pad and V38
    Switch to the black or red pad and JetSeal it
    Hand wax with the 50/50 carnuba and buff with the happy ending towels

Am I missing anything?

Wow, you are lucky! That looks like a fun project.

First, you need a paint thickness gauge. Don't just start sanding without knowing how much you have to work with.

Next you will need "towels"- plural.

Go over to the autogeek.net forum and you will find tons of information that will help you on this project. You can even ask Mike Phillips himself questions on the forum.

I'll check it out, thanks!

As for thickness, I'll look into how to judge that but I do know there were 5 coats of clear sprayed.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeChris View Post
    I'll check it out, thanks!

As for thickness, I'll look into how to judge that but I do know there were 5 coats of clear sprayed.
    even armed with that knowledge....you can run into areas of the car with more clear to work with than others.....definitely one sweet project

I'm wondering if I could just sand the runs and then polish the rest of the car with an aggressive grit instead of sanding. There are spots where you can feel small imperfections like trash in the clear coat. I know it's hard to tell without trying and seeing what happens but what are the chances I could do it with just the polishing?

I would try just polishing a test spot and see if I was satisfied.

So it's a possibility...cool. I'll go with the orange pad and 34 to see and move to 32 if needed. If I have to use 32 and an orange pad can I go straight from that to a 38 on the white pad or will I need to hit it with a 36 or 34 still? Also, what pads would you suggest for the middle grit if I need to go that route?

Start with your lightest. Here's what I would do:

V36 + white pad - not good enough? >
    V36 + orange pad - not good enough? >
    V34 + white pad - not good enough? >
    V34 + orange pad - not good enough? >
    etc.

After you get the correction you want, you may have some haze, especially if you had to go to V34. Then you do the same process like this:

V38 + black pad - not good enough? >
    V38 + green pad (or white) - not good enough? >
    V36 + black pad - not good enough?
    V36 + green pad (or white)
    etc.

This way, you may find that you will save some product. There is no step by step perfect flow for every car. Every paint is different, conditions, tools, products, skill, etc. all these are part of the process.

Clean your pad after each panel or use a fresh pad each panel. Remember, the amount of pressure and the number of passes are also variables. Sometimes I will use the same polish and same color pad, but add more pressure or more passes, and that will be enough to get the correction I want, without stepping up polish or pad color.

Don't be surprised when your pads turn blue from the paint.