Thread: Wax Application Using Porter Cable 7242XP

Wax Application Using Porter Cable 7242XP

I have watched the video on you tube about applying butter wet wax using a DA. The Chemical Guys recommend that your DA be on a setting of 1 or 2. When I put my DA on a setting of 1 or 2 using Butter Wet Wax and a black hex logic pad the pad does not spin, it only vibrates. This is with NO pressure except the weight of the DA. I can get the pad to spin a little bit if I lift the DA up and support some of its weight. So my question is this:

Is it ok to put the DA at a setting that will allow the pad to spin with the weight of the DA (Porter Cable 7242XP) on the pad only. For me this is a setting of about 3 or 4, usually a few clicks over 3.

Do I want the black hex logic pad to be spinning while I am apply wax?

Thank you for any help or insight.

So, it barely spins at all when you take it off the paint at speed setting 1?

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    So, it barely spins at all when you take it off the paint at speed setting 1?
    No if I lift it off the paint it would spin fast in speed setting 1, but with the weight of the da and the pad in paint it does not spin at speed setting 1

Something does not sound right there. I'm not that familiar with the PC7424...maybe a call to Porter Cable would be in order? I use speed setting 1 on my GG6 to spread product

I use speed setting 2-3 on my PC to apply wax.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    I use speed setting 2-3 on my PC to apply wax.
    This depending on the sealer/wax.

No, I use it on 2-3 whether it is thin sealer or if it is paste wax. There's no advantage to running it slower. There is an advantage to running it higher RPMs- I finish the customer's car quicker.