Thread: Clay recommendation

Clay recommendation

I have a question about claying my car. It will be the first time for me and the car has light/medium contamination.
    Is it better to use a clay block or a clay bar? Is there any difference in results or how to use it?

The clay block is easy, fast and if you drop it, you simply rinse it off. If you drop the clay, it has to be thrown away. I believe the clay does remove more contaminants, but clay is an abrasive so you are rubbing your paint with an abrasive. The clay block is rubber. I use clay block on vehicles under 4 years old and real clay on older vehicles.

Allright I will try the clay block.

Thanks!!

I find the Clay block produces more marring than a fine grade clay. I used the clay block a few times on different cars. I will stick to a clay bar.

Hmm perhaps you weren't rinsing your block enough? You can rinse the blocks frequently, but if you get a piece of grit in your clay, you could do a lot of marring. That's one big advantage of clay block.

Is it recommended to polish after claying the car or can I just put a glaze, sealant and wax on?
    The car is only a year old and doesn't have many swirls or scratches.
    It is sitting outside all year long so my main goal is to protect it.
    Last edited by Fjv; 01-06-2017 at 01:11 AM.

I would polish with a cleaner wax or All In One polish once per year, but you definitely don't have to.

It really depends if the marring doesn't stick out or if it doesn't bother you.