Thread: Dodge Dart Detail

Dodge Dart Detail

I want to start out by saying, for being a fairly new car, This was a VERY tough job. I am not sure if the car has even been washed since it was drove off the lot. I completely forgot to take a before shot, but here is the after.IMG_1033.jpg

This will also be a review on some new products that I picked up

The good news was, since this car's paint really hasn't been touched by anything, swirls really weren't too bad. The fact that the car was white also concealed a lot of scratched. This car was just filthy with tar, brake dust, and mud.

I started by pressure washing the heavy stuff of and then straight to the rim using Diablo 3:1. This stuff really is fantastic. I was hoping someone could let me know there opinions on the Chemical Guys Iron remover.

After, I went to the Torq foam cannon using CG Honey dew. I have used the cannon a couple of times just messing around. This was the first time I used it for a job. I gotta say, after using this tool, it makes you wonder how you ever did it before. I don't think I will ever go back to washing a panel and rinsing a panel over and over again. I coupled the Foam cannon with the two bucket method. For the soap in the bucket, I used 2oz. of Mr. Pink with a cap full of CG bug and tar remover. This process took about a half our, not factoring for setting up the equipment. Here what I was left with.IMG_0989.jpgIMG_0991.jpgIMG_0993.jpg. This tar was VERY thick and gummy. I dabbed as much as I could before I ruined a clay bar.

For the clay step, I tried a new product. I used the Nano Skin Auto-scrub wash mitt. Before I get ridiculed for not using a Chemical Guys product like the similarly priced CG cleansing mitt, let me explain. I buy all of my CG stuff using Amazon Prime. Most all of the CG supplies are on Amazon. I have no idea why, but the CG cleansing mitt is not on Amazon. After looking at reviews, the Nano-skin has been out longer with wonderful feedback from detailers. I would have much rather tried the CG product, but instead, I went with what was Amazon Prime eligible.

Now back to the Mitt review. This is truly a clay bar replacement guys. Normally with a traditional clay bar, I am claying the car for at least two hours. This cut the claying process time down to a half hour!!! The instructions also say that you can do the claying step while you wash at the same time, but I opted to make two steps out of it. When I use a traditional clay bar, I am never truly sure I have removed all of the underneath contaminants until I hit the car with a polishing pad, and see all of the dirt that I missed. With this pad there is NO doubt when the job is done. You can hear and feel the roughness on the mitt. After a few swipes, the noise goes away. When I got to the polishing stage, I only had to wash my pad a couple of times, and that was mainly just because I was feeling guilty for not cleaning it the way I normally do when it is caked with grime! For you other guys seeking a clay bar alternative, I have also tried the CG clay disk and I must say that is truly the only CG product that was just a terrible product. you don't have near as much control using the disk, and it simply fell apart after my first use. I could not recommend the Nano Skin Mitt any higher!

Next I decided to combine my polish and glaze step by using CG V4 all in one. This was my first experience with this product too and here are my thoughts. I bought this product for the simple purpose of saving time. However, it is a compromise. As we all know, white does hide scratches and swirls very well, as long as the scratch do not go past the paint layer. This product is perfect for a job like this. I taped off the deck lid of the car into three sections. first I Polished with V4 and an orange pad, the next section was polished with V36 and an orange pad, and the final section was polished with a starter polish of V36 and an orange pad, then followed up with a final polish of V38 and a white pad. This paint hid the scratches so well, that honestly you could not tell a difference between all three combinations. Even with an inspection light, It was hard to tell the difference. Now that being said, V4 does not remove as many scratches as a mild polish, but it does remove most of them and again, this is a compromise after all. One thing that completely shocked me, was that it removed a bright red paint scuff that was deep in the door. Here is a before and after shot. IMG_1036.jpg

I will definantly use V4 again on jobs that do not require show quality results such as daily drivers. When you can combine 2 steps such as polishing and glaze, you save serious time!

I topped this car off with Jet seal, let it set for an hour, wiped it off and called it a day! I'm not ready to give my opinion on Jet Seal yet, just because I want to see how long this stuff lasts. I can tell you it is easy on, and easy off.
    Last edited by mgharris24; 07-23-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Nice work and excellent review. The Diablo is a good wheel cleaner, until you run into a seriously dirty wheel.....thats when I break out the Griots Heavy Duty.....awesome for nasty wheels. I just used V4 for the first time, and it is a nice time saver. I really like it with the Hexlogic orange pad. One question, though....V4 is a combination polish/sealant...why top it with JetSeal? I would have been inclined to top it with Petes 53.

This forum seems pretty good about mentioning other manufacturers products, so you'll likely not get crushed for talking about the Nanoskin. What did you use on the tires? I use VRP almost exclusively now....great tire shine

I normally wouldn't have topped the V4 with another sealant but I have a couple of reasons. It is my sisters car and she is very negligent about cleaning, So I used jet seal hoping that it would last a while before needing waxed again. The second reason was kind of bone-headed of me, but it wasn't until reading your post that I re-read the product description. I thought this was a polish/pre-wax glaze, not a sealant. Oops! Whats your opinion of the longevity of the sealant characteristics of V4?

For the Tires, I have been using CG Nice and wet aerosol, until I run out. This stuff looks great clear up until you actually drive the vehicle. After one or two trips, the shine disappears and leaves a matte finish. One good thing I can say about this product is that there is no noticeable "Tire Sling" on the paint from this product. Does the VRP seem to last a little longer?

I'm not a fan of aerosols....too much over-spray. VRP lasts longer than any water-based dressing I've ever used. The longest lasting tire shine I've used is Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel, but you really need to take your time applying it, due to the fact that it's a gel and will sling if you do not allow ample time before driving. VRP does fade to a matte finish, but it usually takes about two weeks for that.

I've had the V4 on my DD truck for about a month. It's holding up well, which is to be expected from a sealant. Prior to winter, however, I'll be separating the steps and using a dedicated polish step and sealant step, rather than an all in one. Even with the orange pad, the V4 did leave some scratches that I thought it would resolve. I can not entirely blame the product...I'm guessing my technique had something to do with it. I'm still in the learning stages with this stuff.

Here's a pic of freshly applied VRP:vrp.jpg
    Last edited by briarpatch; 07-24-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Looks fantastic man. I'm gonna buy a bottle and try it for myself. Thanks for all of the good info.

Quote Originally Posted by mgharris24 View Post
    Looks fantastic man. I'm gonna buy a bottle and try it for myself. Thanks for all of the good info.
    You will not regret it. The only issue I've had with it is trying to use it on exterior trim. It had a tendency to run after a rain...but on tires, it kicks a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Nice work and excellent review. The Diablo is a good wheel cleaner, until you run into a seriously dirty wheel.....thats when I break out the Griots Heavy Duty.....awesome for nasty wheels. I just used V4 for the first time, and it is a nice time saver. I really like it with the Hexlogic orange pad. One question, though....V4 is a combination polish/sealant...why top it with JetSeal? I would have been inclined to top it with Petes 53.

This forum seems pretty good about mentioning other manufacturers products, so you'll likely not get crushed for talking about the Nanoskin. What did you use on the tires? I use VRP almost exclusively now....great tire shine
    Unlike autogeek forum which is a joke. They have all you guys in check lol . I bet you know who this is haha. I'm not picking on ya brother it's just I love detailing but if I spend any more time on the autogeek forums I may just go crazy.

Nice job on the detail and very well thought out review. Thanks for taking time to write it up. Jet Seal has been my go to, I've found it to be quite durable considering my daily driver sits outside daily. I generally lay down 2 layers of it and then top with a wax which obviously helps with durability in addition to the depth you get from a good carnauba wax.

I love Diablo, 3:1 is what I use also. I've found it to work pretty good even on some pretty dirty wheels. I also use Wheel Guard which I'm sure makes cleaning easier in between washes. You could use Jet Seal as well.

I just did my vehicle this weekend and used Activate Shine & Seal. If you think Jet Seal is easy on and off, give the Activate a try. I found it to be even easier. The durability I'm not quite sure of yet. I have high hopes that hopefully won't disappoint. Time will tell.

Another product you might want to consider is Blitz. I use that as a top coat after a liquid wax just to seal it in. I've not found it to take away much of the warmth the wax alone provides. What I really like about it is that even after a rain, the vehicle looks as though it was freshly washed.