Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glaze/sealent/wax

Quote Originally Posted by SICKFORLIFE View Post
    clay removes wax?i didnt know that.
    You are taking a mildly abrasive product and rubbing it on the waxed surface. Clay is designed to remove bonded contaminates. Depending on how long you work the clay will determine how much wax is removed.

I doubt that clean slate completely removes everything off the paint. Its been tested and proven to remove 100% of everything off your car you have to atleast polish the paint. There aren't any SAFE chemicals that will completely strip your paint.

I haven't tried the clean slate yet, but what's the difference between that and the Citrus Wash and Gloss? I would think the Citrus mixed 5 to 1 would work better because of the citrus in it.

"The Devil is in the detail"

Yes, Clay is designed to remove EVERYTHING from the car, getting you down to bare paint. Chemical guys have a few different clays to choose from, ranging from very light to aggressive clays. Also, as far as marring the paint with detail clay, as long as you can verify that your clay is clean, and you use a very generous amount of clay lube, the risk of marring your paint is minimal and if you do get a scratch, it should be taken out easy with a light polish or a glaze. The more aggressive the clay, the more chance you have at MINIMALLY marring the paint.

Yes, I have also found the clay sometimes does not get everything. When you look at the bottom of your polishing pad, and you see the pad is turning dark, that means you are removing dirt and expired wax, along with polishing. Polishing is the ONLY way to remove everything from the paint. Clay baring is a necessity, and we use it to extend the life of our pads, and it will remove ALMOST everything.

SICKFORLIFE: As far as your process that you have planned out, here is what I have learned about planning out a detail. Constant paint inspection is the key. The simple fact is, right now, you really cant tell if you need paint correction or not. Once you finish your clay step, Go back over the car with a flash light and inspect the paint. It all depends on what you want to live with. it is only then that you will know if you can skip the minor paint correction, and go straight to glaze. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by mgharris24 View Post
    Yes, Clay is designed to remove EVERYTHING from the car, getting you down to bare paint. Chemical guys have a few different clays to choose from, ranging from very light to aggressive clays. Also, as far as marring the paint with detail clay, as long as you can verify that your clay is clean, and you use a very generous amount of clay lube, the risk of marring your paint is minimal and if you do get a scratch, it should be taken out easy with a light polish or a glaze. The more aggressive the clay, the more chance you have at MINIMALLY marring the paint.

Yes, I have also found the clay sometimes does not get everything. When you look at the bottom of your polishing pad, and you see the pad is turning dark, that means you are removing dirt and expired wax, along with polishing. Polishing is the ONLY way to remove everything from the paint. Clay baring is a necessity, and we use it to extend the life of our pads, and it will remove ALMOST everything.

SICKFORLIFE: As far as your process that you have planned out, here is what I have learned about planning out a detail. Constant paint inspection is the key. The simple fact is, right now, you really cant tell if you need paint correction or not. Once you finish your clay step, Go back over the car with a flash light and inspect the paint. It all depends on what you want to live with. it is only then that you will know if you can skip the minor paint correction, and go straight to glaze. Good luck and let me know how it goes!
    WOW!! This is the most informative answer I have read in a while!