Thread: How can i prepare my car before i apply sealant?

How can i prepare my car before i apply sealant?

Hello all,

I have a 2015 Honda Civic (9 months old) in silver color. The car is driven alot on highway and has over 15k miles already on it.

I was looking for a UV protectant for my headlights and came across chemical guys Jetseal and ordered one along with chemical guys wetwax.

I will be applying jetseal to my car/ headlights and waxing it ontop as well.

My question to you all is what are the steps I need to take before applying jetseal?

These are the steps i was going to follow:

1. Wash the car with premium car wash atleast twice to remove dust.

2. Apply jetseal for 20 mins then wipe it off.

3. Apply wet wax.

I know many people do clay bar and polishing etc beforehand but i am not sure if i should be doing this or no as my car is new and paint is fresh and i dont see any particles on the paint surface. I assume most people do lots of prep work beforehand because their car is old which is not the case here. Do you still recommend claying the car before applying jetseal or a through hand car wash is good enough?

Regarding applying jetseal to headlights, i wanted to clean the headlights before i apply jetseal. Since its a new car headlights are in crystal clear condition, therefore i wanted to use something which is not so heavy to clean the headlights. Maybe use Meguire's PlastX since its a plastic cleaner and recommended for headlights. Can someone recommend a product i can use because most of products available are for heavy oxidized headlight. Please advise if PlastX is ok to use to clean off my new lights to remove dust before i seal it with Jetseal?

I am new to maintaining cars and this is the first time I bought a product to keep my new car in good shape.

I look forward to hearing from all experts here

Quote Originally Posted by Kwara4u View Post
    Hello all,

I have a 2015 Honda Civic (9 months old) in silver color. The car is driven alot on highway and has over 15k miles already on it.

I was looking for a UV protectant for my headlights and came across chemical guys Jetseal and ordered one along with chemical guys wetwax.

I will be applying jetseal to my car/ headlights and waxing it ontop as well.

My question to you all is what are the steps I need to take before applying jetseal?

These are the steps i was going to follow:

1. Wash the car with premium car wash atleast twice to remove dust.

2. Apply jetseal for 20 mins then wipe it off.

3. Apply wet wax.

I know many people do clay bar and polishing etc beforehand but i am not sure if i should be doing this or no as my car is new and paint is fresh and i dont see any particles on the paint surface. I assume most people do lots of prep work beforehand because their car is old which is not the case here. Do you still recommend claying the car before applying jetseal or a through hand car wash is good enough?

Regarding applying jetseal to headlights, i wanted to clean the headlights before i apply jetseal. Since its a new car headlights are in crystal clear condition, therefore i wanted to use something which is not so heavy to clean the headlights. Maybe use Meguire's PlastX since its a plastic cleaner and recommended for headlights. Can someone recommend a product i can use because most of products available are for heavy oxidized headlight. Please advise if PlastX is ok to use to clean off my new lights to remove dust before i seal it with Jetseal?

I am new to maintaining cars and this is the first time I bought a product to keep my new car in good shape.

I look forward to hearing from all experts here
    You can just use a glass cleaner for the headlights. You don't need to overthink that. If you have the megs product already than you can use that. Doesn't really matter. Companies will try to sell you a cleaner for every possible thing on the car. Not required in some cases. Since your car is new it is unlikely going to need much of a clay bar. The only areas that it might need some would be the rocker panels, and maybe the rear of the car. You can check after you wash with a plastic bag to see if anything is there. You can feel little bumps. If there is some. You can remove them with a clay bar as you know.

You can leave it alone and not clay it if you want. The main reason to remove it is so JetSeal can bond properly with the paint. So you could have problems with Longevity if you don't clay it. So after the car is washed. Yes you can apply JetSeal. and wait 20 minutes and buff it off. Wait at least 24 hours before washing the car again. As for polishing it is never "required" it is always optional. Some would say it is a must, but that is more personal preference. There is pros and cons to polishing every time like once a year. Yes the car will look sick always, but you are removing paint, every single time!
    Last edited by srpurdy; 04-28-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks for the above advice, makes sense to perform plastic bag test before i start claying. I live in FL so its hot however area is not really polluted.

Regarding the headlights, can i just use windex? What about Meguire PlastX? Will it remove the factory UV coating? I am not really planing to hardcore polish headlights, just want to lightly clean them before i seal them with Jetseal

Quote Originally Posted by Kwara4u View Post
    Thanks for the above advice, makes sense to perform plastic bag test before i start claying. I live in FL so its hot however area is not really polluted.

Regarding the headlights, can i just use windex? What about Meguire PlastX? Will it remove the factory UV coating? I am not really planing to hardcore polish headlights, just want to lightly clean them before i seal them with Jetseal
    You could use windex, but windex is a little strong for paint surfaces. I personally wouldn't use it. I find it's a terrible glass cleaner anyway. You would better off finding a good auto glass cleaner like Stoners Invisible Glass. If you want to do a light cleaning of them. Any All Purpose Cleaner would work also. Like Nonsense. You could use PlastiX afterward if you wanted. PlastiX looks like a cleaning polish for clear surfaces. So it is meant to add shine/gloss to your lights. Than apply the jetseal after. The Factory coating is clear coat paint. You can't remove that without heavy wet sanding. Or maybe some extreme chemicals, but these things you have mentioned are all super safe.
    Last edited by srpurdy; 04-28-2016 at 10:05 PM.