Thread: Best DA For Someone Starting to Detail?

Best DA For Someone Starting to Detail?

Hi everyone, new to the forums and glad to be here!

I have never used a machine to detail any of my cars before and in need of advice as to which polisher and products to remove minor swirls from incorrectly washing my 2015 Ford Fiesta ST Molten-Orange paint as well as my wife's 2014 Nautical Blue Metallic Scion xD.

I also have a 2003 Toyota Echo in Silver, but the paint on the hood, roof, and trunk are badly faded and the clear has already peeled so I know there's no saving that, but it would be good to practice on the rest of the car as the paint is still shiny.

I'm considering either the Porter Cable 7424xp, Griots 6" or Torq 10x. Which machine would be good for a new person starting out because I am afraid to damage the paint on the newer vehicles.

I've been using Chemical Guys/Smartwax products exclusively on my cars for over a year and applying them manually with hand applicator pads - mainly Smart One, Black Light, Blitz Sealant, and Speed Wipe Quick Detail, while using the Honey Dew Snow Foam Auto Wash with a foam gun to wash, and have had excellent results. I'm hoping that by using a machine to remove swirls and apply the waxes/polishes/sealants, the results would be even better.

Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated...thanks in advance.
    -Richard

I have the Griots Garage 6".....got the 5" backing plate for it....love the machine.....if u buy one, make sure you get the one with the 25' cord

@briarpatch Great - thanks for the reply. Any recommendations on the pads to use and how many to get?

Yup, he is addicted :P

Quote Originally Posted by F8lspd View Post
    @briarpatch Great - thanks for the reply. Any recommendations on the pads to use and how many to get?
    Still learning more about different pads/brands myself. I've started with Griots red foam (waxing) pad, and their orange foam correcting pad. Will be trying a HexLogic pad on my next detail

i hear that the gg's arent very powerful. id get the 10 fx or just save for a rupes mark 2 its supposed to be the best da out .

Quote Originally Posted by ascarbo27 View Post
    i hear that the gg's arent very powerful. id get the 10 fx or just save for a rupes mark 2 its supposed to be the best da out .
    I've never heard that before....when you look at the specs...the Torq 10fx is rated at 700w with a range of 1500 - 4200 OPM (Orbits per minute)....The GG6 is 850W with a range of 2500 - 6800 OPM.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I've never heard that before....when you look at the specs...the Torq 10fx is rated at 700w with a range of 1500 - 4200 OPM (Orbits per minute)....The GG6 is 850W with a range of 2500 - 6800 OPM.
    oh ive not used the gg6 just relaying what i have read from another forum. but for 150 might as well get that

why 25 feet if i may ask? cant you just get 10 feet and buy extension cord specially price difference between 10 feet and 25 is substantial

Quote Originally Posted by azi90 View Post
    why 25 feet if i may ask? cant you just get 10 feet and buy extension cord specially price difference between 10 feet and 25 is substantial
    The price difference is about 15.00......it is just easier to not have to bust out the extension cord.....