Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to get my first good polisher. Help please

Want to get my first good polisher. Help please

Getting close to making an order here.

I think I need to get a good polisher. Looks like going cheap just isn't a good idea. Looked at the PC 7424XP but I think I want to go a little better than that one. Right now, I'm looking hard at the Flex XC 3401 which is a dual-action. I'm also looking at the Torq 22D which is a random-orbital. The Rupes LHR 21ES looks nice too and is also a random-orbital.

This will be my first polisher of this type. My only experience so far is with a Craftsman rotary and wool pad. Is dual-action or random-orbital the way for me to go? Or is there not much difference in the 2?

My usage is for buffing new single-stage and base/clear urethane paint jobs.

The more studying I do the more I seem to like the Rupes LHR 15ES.

I have a Rupes 15. It is a very nice machine. It is more versatile than than Rupes 21 given the smaller throw. It is very smooth. You can invest in stiffer pads since soft ones can take beating if you use them a lot from the extra throw but standard ones do work fine.
    --------------------

Al

Thanks.
    I'd like some more details if you don't mind.

Do you use it with the Hex Logic pads?

What others have you tried with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I have a Rupes 15. It is a very nice machine. It is more versatile than than Rupes 21 given the smaller throw. It is very smooth. You can invest in stiffer pads since soft ones can take beating if you use them a lot from the extra throw but standard ones do work fine.
    This^^^^^^^^I'd go w/ a 15mm throw machine over a 21mm machine, like said more versatile.

I bought both a DeWalt 849X rotary polisher to replace my old Craftsman and the Rupes LHR 15ES.

I bought an assortment of 6.5" Lake Country CCS pads and the V series compounds from Chemical Guys to use with both polishers.
    I also bought 2 backing plates for the DeWalt and an assortment of 4" Lake Country pads.

Got some Pad Cleaner, pad conditioner, pad brush and microfiber towels from Chemical Guys too.

From all the research I did (lots of hours with google), I came to the conclusion that for an initial cut on a color sanded paint, a rotary with a compound like the Chemical Guys V32 with orange pads is a good way to go. Then switch to the orbital for using v34, 36 and 38 passes using white then black pads.

So my Rupes will be used a lot more. For restoring my older paint jobs, the Rupes alone is the most likely. And I get to use it for glazes, sealers and waxes as well. That will be nice for the wife's daily driver too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I bought both a DeWalt 849X rotary polisher to replace my old Craftsman and the Rupes LHR 15ES.

I bought an assortment of 6.5" Lake Country CCS pads and the V series compounds from Chemical Guys to use with both polishers.
    I also bought 2 backing plates for the DeWalt and an assortment of 4" Lake Country pads.

Got some Pad Cleaner, pad conditioner, pad brush and microfiber towels from Chemical Guys too.

From all the research I did (lots of hours with google), I came to the conclusion that for an initial cut on a color sanded paint, a rotary with a compound like the Chemical Guys V32 with orange pads is a good way to go. Then switch to the orbital for using v34, 36 and 38 passes using white then black pads.

So my Rupes will be used a lot more. For restoring my older paint jobs, the Rupes alone is the most likely. And I get to use it for glazes, sealers and waxes as well. That will be nice for the wife's daily driver too.
    Since you have so much "new" I would highly recommend trials on a junk yard panel to make sure you don't screw up your own car(s)

Can't go wrong w/ the Rupes.

I have the Flex and the PC. The FLex is forced roation so it corrects rather quickly and can build some heat into the paint. The PC was my first polisher and served the purpose of learning, but now it's relegated to coatings duty. I also have a FLex rotary for heavy work and headlight polishing. I've also spoken to a few people who highly recommend the Griot's Boss system as well.
    Gloss Wurkz Detailing
    Regina, Sk

Griots boss 15 or Rupes lhr 15 or the Rupes 15mkll would be a great start & will carry you for yrs.