Thread: Polishing trim around windows

Polishing trim around windows

The trim around the windows of my X5 have some scratches and water spots I'd like to remove. I'm not quite sure how to polish them and am looking for suggestions. I don't think I can take a machine polisher to the trim since it's not very wide and has rubber on each side of it. How would you go about polishing it? See pics for what I'm up against...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would tape the trim out and do it by hand. There are only a couple of machine and pad combo's that can do that work.
    You can get a drill attachment and a two or 3 inch rotary backing plate and pads as a machine alternative on the cheap. Be careful this way drills spin with high speed so the only way to adjust it is by speeding up your passes a lot.
    Work like that I just tape out and use M101 which cuts fast and finishes down great by hand.

This spring when I did a 2 step on my S5 the only things I taped off were the matte black strips on my windshield and the clear bra line on the nose. When I did the wipe off everything came clean. I did the 1st step with menz 400 and a MF cut pad and second with menz 4000 and white polishing pad on my Torq 22D with a 5" BP. Even on my wagon which I used the V36/V38 combo on it didn't take long to clean the edges of the rubber when I was done. I know it's not the correct way but it worked for me.

First thing I would do is use a water spot remover on the spots first tho and then polish out the scratches. As far as polish on the rubber trim around windows I haven't had a problem with it being stained just build up on the edges which isn't that bad to remove.

On my S5 after I was done polishing I coated everything with WG Uber coating to protect most everything including all the trim and glass. On my wagon it has Jetseal on all the exterior except the tires but it is on the vinyl and the rub rail.

It is always advisable to do the polishing of trim periodically. Rinse and dry the area throughly. Apply homemade cleaning solution ( 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup lemon juice) on to the trim and allow it to set for few minutes. After waiting for few minutes wipe the mixture off with damp sponge. Next use a dry cloth to completely remove it.