Thread: Am I using the leather conditioner correctly?

Am I using the leather conditioner correctly?

Hey everyone.

I should start out by stating that Ive gotten serious about detailing my vehicle over the past few months and have purchased many Chemical Guy products which all seem great.

The one that I'm on the fence about is the leather conditioner.

I have cleaned the seats with the leather cleaner, which I must say worked great. Sprayed it on, rubbed it in with a horse hair brush, then wiped clean. The seats have never looked so good. They were back to their original dull appearance which was great.

Once I applied the leather conditioner, they immediately looked a bit greasy and once absorbed felt almost like vinyl. I tried to rub it in more to see if it needed to absorb better, I tried to buff it off with a microfiber but nothing worked.

Am I doing something wrong? The seats don't even feel like leathar anymore. Not soft, almost brittle feeling.

Or am I expecting too much from the product?

For referance the seats are nappa leather from Recaro in an Audi RS4.

Thanks

I've had a problem with my leather seats doing sort of the same. Rather then them feeling brittle mine just suck up the conditioner and still feel "naked". I then decided to use CG leather serum. It locked in a nice feel and and left the leather looking crisp and not shiny as they shouldn't be. Try serum and see the out come. Try buying it on amazon prime for faster shipping so you're not leaving your seat unprotected for a long time.

I'm wondering the same thing, after using the conditioner the seats almost feel slick and I've wiped what I could off and didn't think I used too much on the seats.

Mine are black "leather" seats, 15 Accord, I believe their vinyl coated, with that being said since they are vinyl coated is the conditioner even doing anything ?

I do love the smell after doing them that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing, after using the conditioner the seats almost feel slick and I've wiped what I could off and didn't think I used too much on the seats.

Mine are black "leather" seats, 15 Accord, I believe their vinyl coated, with that being said since they are vinyl coated is the conditioner even doing anything ?

I do love the smell after doing them that's for sure.
    well if they are coated im sure the conditioner is "helping" but to be honest i would just keep on top of them with some innerclean. Since its a 15' it shouldn't be too hard

Yeah I had bought the leather care kit before realizing they were coated, came with the cleaner and conditioner. And exactly more of a preventive maintenance than anything.

I'm not a huge fan of the Conditioner, I've used it and found it to be just as you mentioned. It feels greasy, even after buffing it off. I did not notice the brittle feel that you mentioned but the product didn't impress me. It's important to say that the vehicle I used this on was an '11, with the coated seats. I'm now in a '15 with significantly nicer leather and the Serum has produced improved results. I too am not 100% convinced that coated seats need anything beyond a very mild cleanser to keep clean. If you stay on them that is.

I seem to recall a video about cleaning leather seats and if memory serves me, the conditioner worked great for classic car leather. I believe they showed a vintage Benz Limo with seats that just soaked up that conditioner.

what would work on my 07 mustang GT black leather seats?

I use all 3 CG leather products; cleaner, conditioner and serum. I found the conditioner after applying it with a mf pad, then waiting, 3-4 minutes, I wipe with a clean tan mf towel, it takes off the excess product and buffs out the seat to a nice matte OEM finish with a nice 'hand' or feel' on the leather. The serum goes on the same way and simply enhances and protects. I have two Honda Accord's with leather seats and the leather kit works well on both vehicle seats.