Thread: NEWBIES: READ THIS BEFORE you ask your first question!!!

NEWBIES: READ THIS BEFORE you ask your first question!!!

Welcome to the CG Forum!

Before you ask your first car-related question, read this post first!

How to Detail Your Car: Simply follow this flowchart for proper order of operations to achieve the best results every time.
    http://www.chemicalguys.com/v/vspfil...ngflowchat.jpg

You can always add/remove steps, but you must perform the steps in this order for perfect results!
    -For weekly maintenance washes after the big detail, you can skip from wash straight to quick detailer to maintain that freshly-detailed look.

Here are some pro tips, tricks, and thoughts for the best results:
    -An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure: invest in high quality microfiber towels, the proper tools and chemicals, and learn good wash/dry habits now. You'll spend less time and money compounding and polishing later!

-A Two-Bucket Wash actually requires THREE buckets: One for soap water, one for rinsing dirt off the wash mitt, and one specifically designated for WHEELS ONLY! NEVER mix and match wheel and paint tools or products. Ever.

-You only have to clay bar a car once a year, or when it feels rough.

-After a clay bar service, you MUST seal/wax with your choice of sealant or wax. JetSeal will last up to a full year with one properly-maintained application.

-NEVER wipe in circles; always wipe and buff in straight lines.

-Washing, claying, waxing, and dressing are "maintain" the look of your car. The only way to "fix" defects and scratches in paint is Machine Polishing.

-You'll never get it 100% perfect: Unless you spend $100K+ on a show car paint job, your paint will have minor defects, and that's okay.

-If you want "NEW," you just gotta buy new.

"Best" or "Favorite" products:
    Here are some of my personal favorite Chemical Guys products to do any detailing job:

Wash:
    -Mr. Pink or Glossworkz shampoo
    -Three buckets w/Grit Guards
    -Premium chenille microfiber mitt
    -Foam gun
    or
    -EcoSmart RU

Clay:
    -OG Clay Bar & Luber

Polish:
    -V Line of Polishes (start with V36 and finish with V38. Go more aggressive only if V36 doesn't remove your defects)
    -orange and white Hex-Logic foam pads
    -orange and black Black-Optics microfiber pads
    -TORQ 10FX random orbital polisher

Sealant:
    -Jet Seal

Wax:
    -5050 Concours Paste Wax

Quick Detailer:
    -Hybrid V7 (diluted 1:1 with DI/filtered water)

Glass Cleaner:
    -Signature Series Glass Cleaner (diluted 1:1 with DI/filtered water)

Dressing:
    -Silk Shine
    -VRP

Interior:
    -InnerClean
    -Sprayable Leather
    -Honeydew Air Freshener & Odor Eliminator

For everything else:
    -NONSENSE all purpose cleaner

Towels:
    -General purpose: Workhorse Microfiber
    -Finishing: Professional Grade Premium Microfiber (yellow w/silk edge)
    -Drying: Miracle Dryer Extra Large Microfiber (yellow/orange w/silk edge)

We've got over 500 videos on our YouTube channel.. check em out! Hope this thread answers your first burning questions, but always feel free to post and ask whatever you like.

Happy detailing!

Great post! Thanks

This a gold - thank you guys!

Newbie here and stumbled upon the vast selection of youtube videos from CG. I love but more confused after watching too many I have a 2007 S550 Silver. I'll follow the flow chart you have online to do most of the work but my living situation might justify a different pathway.

I live in a rural area but paved roads. I collect a lot more crap on the sides of the car. I also have well water so unlike before the car accumulates a lot more spots on the windows and water. For well water, do you recommend some form of water treatment before washing the car?

I'll need to place an initial order but didn't want to start the process without having everything in stock to avoid down time.

Thanks

Bugger, I don't have any of the above products, except the hybrid v7 !! I get soooo confused by the different steps !!
    I use
    Honeydew snow foam
    White light
    Butter wet wax
    Hybrid v7

Correct or no good ???

I'm possibly the only digger and tractor cleaner on here also !!

Wanna get into detailing big time !!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MattMan View Post
    Welcome to the CG Forum!

Before you ask your first car-related question, read this post first!

How to Detail Your Car: Simply follow this flowchart for proper order of operations to achieve the best results every time.
    http://www.chemicalguys.com/v/vspfil...ngflowchat.jpg

You can always add/remove steps, but you must perform the steps in this order for perfect results!
    -For weekly maintenance washes after the big detail, you can skip from wash straight to quick detailer to maintain that freshly-detailed look.

Here are some pro tips, tricks, and thoughts for the best results:
    -An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure: invest in high quality microfiber towels, the proper tools and chemicals, and learn good wash/dry habits now. You'll spend less time and money compounding and polishing later!

-A Two-Bucket Wash actually requires THREE buckets: One for soap water, one for rinsing dirt off the wash mitt, and one specifically designated for WHEELS ONLY! NEVER mix and match wheel and paint tools or products. Ever.

-You only have to clay bar a car once a year, or when it feels rough.

-After a clay bar service, you MUST seal/wax with your choice of sealant or wax. JetSeal will last up to a full year with one properly-maintained application.

-NEVER wipe in circles; always wipe and buff in straight lines.

-Washing, claying, waxing, and dressing are "maintain" the look of your car. The only way to "fix" defects and scratches in paint is Machine Polishing.

-You'll never get it 100% perfect: Unless you spend $100K+ on a show car paint job, your paint will have minor defects, and that's okay.

-If you want "NEW," you just gotta buy new.

"Best" or "Favorite" products:
    Here are some of my personal favorite Chemical Guys products to do any detailing job:

Wash:
    -Mr. Pink or Glossworkz shampoo
    -Three buckets w/Grit Guards
    -Premium chenille microfiber mitt
    -Foam gun
    or
    -EcoSmart RU

Clay:
    -OG Clay Bar & Luber

Polish:
    -V Line of Polishes (start with V36 and finish with V38. Go more aggressive only if V36 doesn't remove your defects)
    -orange and white Hex-Logic foam pads
    -orange and black Black-Optics microfiber pads
    -TORQ 10FX random orbital polisher

Sealant:
    -Jet Seal

Wax:
    -5050 Concours Paste Wax

Quick Detailer:
    -Hybrid V7 (diluted 1:1 with DI/filtered water)

Glass Cleaner:
    -Signature Series Glass Cleaner (diluted 1:1 with DI/filtered water)

Dressing:
    -Silk Shine
    -VRP

Interior:
    -InnerClean
    -Sprayable Leather
    -Honeydew Air Freshener & Odor Eliminator

For everything else:
    -NONSENSE all purpose cleaner

Towels:
    -General purpose: Workhorse Microfiber
    -Finishing: Professional Grade Premium Microfiber (yellow w/silk edge)
    -Drying: Miracle Dryer Extra Large Microfiber (yellow/orange w/silk edge)

We've got over 500 videos on our YouTube channel.. check em out! Hope this thread answers your first burning questions, but always feel free to post and ask whatever you like.

Happy detailing!
    Hello Matt,

I have a quick question I saw a pretty badass chart (explaining what products to use from start to stop) a while back any advise where I can search to find it? I would like to print and laminate.

Hi Pupi,

We are a year overdue but we still have a couple of charts on our website for many different things. I'd be happy to provide you with a link to our How-To articles that has our different charts. Check the link below!

https://www.chemicalguys.com/HOW_TO_ARTICLES_s/338.htm