PDA

View Full Version : Pad Cleaning

Bobekdj
05-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Hey all,

Have searched high and low for good ways to clean the hex logic pads sold from CG without dropping $120+ for the pad cleaner... I am more of a casual detailer and think the cost plus solution costs just to clean 2-3 pads is probably not worth it? Any recommendations how to best clean the pads? Maybe using pad cleaner, soak, then spin dry in empty bucket?

Thanks,
-Dan

RussellC26
05-13-2014, 11:30 PM
I've just been spraying the pads using Chemical Guys pad cleaner and then rinsing under warm water. They look almost brand new when it's done and takes only a few minutes to do. I then attach the pad to my porter cable and spin the access water out. Works for me.

Bobekdj
05-14-2014, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the reply. So how quickly after wash can you use them again? Any trouble with the Velcro wearing out (my meguiars pads have had this problem)? Also how do you store the pads?

Two3zz
05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Everyone has their own little twist, I am sure you will develop yours.

Clean as you go (time permitting), or Clean up at the end of the day/job, quantity of Pads permitting.

I clean 'On the Fly' often with compressed air and or a Terry Cloth Towel.

Clean as you go: Spray with your favorite cleaner, let it dwell a short time, wash them in sink with warm water, squeeze it out. I then fold a dry microfiber towel, place in between and press down a few times, refold and repeat once more. Voila', dry enough, back to work.

Cleaning at the end: If I choose to do this, I'll prepare a bucket of water mixed with very little cleaner.
As I work and at some point change out a pad, I'll spray it, let it dwell, and throw it in the bucket of water for a through wash later.

For kicks for a overnight dry rack I took a yard stick, put little bitty pieces of the hook side of Velcro spaced apart on it and stuck it to the face of a shelf in the garage.

Tried Dawn Dish Soap for cleaning. NO BUENO. Doesn't seem to rinse out completely.
Tried Dawn Power Dissolve works but again not confident it's rinsing out.
Been using Purple Power Citrus Cleaner. I like the way it's working and fairly cheap.
However, I bought CG Pad Cleaner. Anxious to try. Post'a kick ass!!

MattMan
05-14-2014, 02:37 PM
I gotta say the Universal Pad Washer was one of the best single investments I ever made... It's the only method I've used to get the pads close to 100% clean again. If you ever get one, just know that foam pads clean faster on a rotary, and microfiber clean and fluff up better on a DA.

Two3zz
05-14-2014, 04:13 PM
I gotta say the Universal Pad Washer was one of the best single investments I ever made... It's the only method I've used to get the pads close to 100% clean again. If you ever get one, just know that foam pads clean faster on a rotary, and microfiber clean and fluff up better on a DA.

+1 Yes! and I do believe without much searching, CG has the best price right now.

Bobekdj
05-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Two3zz, thanks for your recommendations.

MattMan, I agree, i think it would work great, but seeing as i just paid several hundred to get my supplies back up to speed (not a pro detailer, more of a hobby), I know my wife would not be too pleased with that washer also purchased. I only got one of each of the hex logic pads i will need, so i think in a few months i may purchase some more pads and maybe the cleaner then :-)

Thanks for all the great comments.