PDA

View Full Version : how to polish the fake chrome of today's cars?

Mad Wax
01-20-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm referring to the chromed plastic, the chrome clad wheels, etc. It's a chrome polish still the go to? Thought it might be too harsh if the chrome isn't as hard or not as thick. Paint polish might not even touch it though. Any suggestions?

JohnsHandWash&Wax
01-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Ughh, I feel your pain. I deal with the cloudy chrome trim all the time on VW`s & Audi`s here. I normally try V38 and then seal & wax it to help bring gloss back. I have gone to V36 before, but only for really rough spots.

ejdetailing
01-28-2014, 11:49 AM
My 2013 Acura TL has the same plastic chrome molding you're speaking of and I use the same polish I use on the paint and I apply sealant or wax to it. I do this for all of my customer's cars as well.

Wheels are another story because some chrome wheels are cheaply chromed and flake off over time, I would stay away from chrome polish for these types of wheels.

inDetail
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
P21s makes a multi surface restorer. Look into it. My internet just went out so I am not 100% sure it will work on fake chrome.

flash_25296
10-10-2014, 06:19 PM
What do you use on new cars with this same thin film chrome over plastic? Would you just seal it from the very beginning and then just reseal it occasionally?

joedr
10-10-2014, 06:49 PM
^^ You could do that but probably would need to make sure you reseal it before the old stuff wears off.

To the OP, I use Meg's cleaner wax in the maroon can, applying it VERY gently with a soft cloth or foam pad - no cotton terry cloth. Not familiar enough with the stuff CG has yet that might be equivalent.

98stang
10-29-2014, 01:38 PM
When I was detailing for a dealership, when I need to get the road grime off I just used window cleaner with ammonia. It would clean the dirt off and bring back the shine.