PDA

View Full Version : Order of things?

Uniman88
03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm not really sure the appropriate order, or the way I do things, is correct.I know the general order of how to do things, like claybar before polishing and waxing. But should I be doing something in a different order? I'm sure everyone has a slight variation on this.

I usually:

Wash (including engine bay and wheels)
Dry
Claybar
Compound
Polish
Seal
Wax

Then I usually do (In a mixed order):
Tire dressing
Undercarriage spray
Plastics/vinyl dressing

Is this drastically different from what anyone else does?

Jake
03-17-2014, 05:49 PM
That order is pretty standard.

Good job.

JohnsHandWash&Wax
03-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Pretty much basic order. Always remember to wash wheels, wheel wells, and engine before any other place. I also like to wash again after compounding.

Uniman88
03-17-2014, 09:09 PM
I've heard of people washing after compounding and polishing, wasn't too sure on that. What are the benefits? Does it remove excess product?

JohnsHandWash&Wax
03-18-2014, 06:01 AM
It all depends on how many compound/polish steps you do, and if you are careful about not getting any residue on trim. I always tape off trim and places I don`t want residue getting into. If I do a one step polish, I normally wipe with CarPro Eraser before applying wax/sealant. If I do a 2 step or more, I generally wash it again. Of course, you want to be careful as you just removed imperfections.

Jclorden
06-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Washing after clay bar is also a step that some people adhere to (per the chemical guys detailing flow chart;) ) I have been thinking that this would be a good time to use a product like ecosmart since the car is already relatively clean.