PDA

View Full Version : Rupes

mmjeep
03-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Looking in to a new polisher either the Rupes LHR21ES or the LHR15ES. I am a not a pro but love to detail my Jeep grand cherokee and pick up truck is the 21 to big? Price not a issue. What do you think.

JohnsHandWash&Wax
03-11-2014, 10:02 AM
They are both awesome machines. I have a normal DA and a smaller one for A pillars, small trunk areas, and lips. I would get the 15 and then their small unit or the Griots 3". I also use the Griots 3" for applying wax and sealants.

Jake
03-11-2014, 10:57 AM
hi mmjeep - I personally LOVE and I can't emphasize enough on LOVE the Rupes LHR15ES. I think the 15 is the perfect size for any vehicles. It's not too big and not too small. And yeah I use the porter cable with a 3" backing plate on smaller areas like lips, pillars, and etc. You won't regret either the 21 or the 15. But personally i take the 15 any day.

Greg
03-11-2014, 04:56 PM
The LHR21ES is a great machine. It's my favorite rupes!!! I usually use a LRH21ES for the bigger panels and a Porter Cable 7424XP for the smaller panels.

Captain Chemical Guy
03-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Hello all, great discussion here. I am coming down on the 15th to sit in again on the polishing course to learn more and hopefully "test drive" a Rupes (unless of course CG has a restraining order to keep me out! Lol)
Just wondering how the new Rupes LHR 12E Duetto fairs next to the 15 and 21? I bought the porter cable last time I was down including the 3 inch adaptor but would really like to have one of those Rupes bad boys with the larger throw and smooth running. What say you Greg and Jake?

Thanks and see you Saturday!

Cheers

Craig

Jake
03-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Hey Craig - Looking forward to seeing you on the 15th!

The Rupes LHR12E Duetto is literally a smaller versions of the BigFoot 15 and 21. It is a little bit more versatile and maneuverable due to it's size, the throw is also smaller at 12mm. The only difference is that the Duetto has just a high RPM setting ranging from 4000 - 5500.

If you currently already have a portercable with a 3" backing plate I'd recommend picking up a LHR15 or 21 so you can work on larger panels more efficient and save more time. And hit the smaller panels with the porter cable :D

Captain Chemical Guy
03-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks very much for this information.

After doing a few vehicles since the last polishing class I can see the value in the larger throw.

Look forward to test driving both the 15 and 21 this weekend if possible.

Again thank you.

Cheers

Craig

Jake
03-12-2014, 11:38 AM
For sure Craig - I'll be here this weekend, make sure to grab me and I'll let you try the 21 and 15. The 15 is my personal favorite and a personal favorite among a lot of detailers!

See you this weekend!

Captain Chemical Guy
03-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Will do Jake!

Thanks very much!

Cheers

Craig

Captain Chemical Guy
03-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Jake and Greg, I also wanted to ask if there is an index to all the great 400 plus CG videos you have posted on YouTube?

Alphabetical or by topic?

Thanks much and look forward to your reply.

Cheers

Craig

Captain Chemical Guy
03-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Hi Jake sorry I missed you at CG. But will stop by on the 29th to see your new store.

Well it was two against one, Greg and Christian vs little ole me ....they talked me into the Rupes 21.....lol

Took it home and tried it.

What a fantastic machine!

Smooth as ever and paint corrects so much better than my PC.

I can only imagine what this machine could accomplish in the hands of someone really skilled!

It's quite a step up and worth the money for sure.

Novice or pro a real time saver.

Cheers

Craig

Jake
03-24-2014, 08:14 AM
Awesome Craig - Either way 15 or 21 they are both great machines!

I'll see you around!

Anomander
03-24-2014, 10:47 AM
What was it that made you choose the 21 over the 15?

Captain Chemical Guy
03-24-2014, 01:15 PM
I did a trip trade so I could attend the polishing class and test drive both the 15 and 21. The super friendly and lovely Ms. Jennifer welcomed me to the class again but as they were oversubscribed (I suspect this will be a reoccurring theme) I did not want to take up any valuable new class members space. So I was not able to try either. But from previous purchases I was not concerned about the quality of CG products. I have never had any buyers remorse dealing with them.

I was thinking Rupes 15 on the way down. I have the PC already and after talking to Greg and Christian at CG I decided to go for the 21 with the big throw.

The 15 is uber impressive as well and I did go back and forth before going with the 21. Both are nice, I don't think you will go wrong either way and will be grinning ear to ear after spending a short time using the Rupes. I know I sure was/am.

I really like dealing with CG.

You always leave feeling like you have bought great products at really good prices.

Rupes 21 is a real quality machine that paint corrects quickly.

Think Snap On tools quality when you think Rupes!

felixthecat
03-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Hi Jake sorry I missed you at CG. But will stop by on the 29th to see your new store.

Well it was two against one, Greg and Christian vs little ole me ....they talked me into the Rupes 21.....lol

Took it home and tried it.

What a fantastic machine!

Smooth as ever and paint corrects so much better than my PC.

I can only imagine what this machine could accomplish in the hands of someone really skilled!

It's quite a step up and worth the money for sure.

Novice or pro a real time saver.

Cheers

Craig
Thats sounds awesome^^^^^^^^ Great feed back. What pads did you go w/? I asume you went w/ the V series compounds/polishes too.

Captain Chemical Guy
03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Yes I use the V series polish and bought both the hex logic and MF pads.

Both work well but getting to really like the MF pads.

Really happy with the Rupes, exceeded my expectations on all levels.

felixthecat
03-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Yes I use the V series polish and bought both the hex logic and MF pads.

Both work well but getting to really like the MF pads.

Really happy with the Rupes, exceeded my expectations on all levels.
Awesome= great to hear that. MF pads for compounding/polishing & foams for 2nd,3rd final? Or are you doing the final w/ MF? 21 over the 15= If you were to just get one machine, which one 15 or 21? I'm really leaning towards the 15.

Captain Chemical Guy
03-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Yes, all what you said.

As I get more comfortable with the MF doing polishing and compounding I find the more I am using them. But I but did buy a complete set of hex logic for the Rupes 21 as that is what I learned on at the CG intro to polishing class. (most excellent class I might add)

I like the hex logic for glaze/wax/sealant. Doesn't mean MF won't do a fine job there but for me I am just not there quite yet.

Agree if buying only one machine the 15 is a good choice as smaller areas will need to be done by hand for best/complete coverage.

You are going to really love that fine piece of Italian machinery!