PDA

View Full Version : Nanoskin Rubber Clay Bar Sponges

ejdetailing
02-27-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm always trying different products and I just bought these off of Amazon at $19 for both and I really like them.
255 257
The red one is medium and the blue is fine.

I own the CG clay mitts as well but I find the mitts are too big and clumsy. I like these because they are prefect size, almost about the same size you would flatten a clay bar.

I tested these sponges out on my car's front bump and hood:

JohnsHandWash&Wax
03-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I just got the fine grade to try as well. Glad you like them. Did you wipe them off or rinse during clay process?

ejdetailing
03-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Did you wipe them off or rinse during clay process?

No, but my car was barely contaminated. I keep my car pretty spotless, especially when I have my business magnet signs on my doors. I wonder if there would be a reason to rinse them off. I would think rubber clay doesn't act the same way as regular clay in that bonded contaminants don't stick to it, it feels like it just knocks it off the surface but maybe I'm wrong. It's hard to tell if there's dirt on the sponge because of the dark color. With a clay bar it's easy to tell if you're removing contaminants, it shows on the clay.

I guess it would make sense to dunk the rubber clay bar in a bucket of soapy water or wipe it off in between claying to prevent contaminants from scratching the surface.

That's an interesting point you make, maybe it's best to stick with a regular clay bar because you can visually see the dirt sticking to the clay bar, although, I like the ability to wash and clay at the same time which is something you can't do with a regular clay bar.

Jake
03-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks for sharing with us, I personally have tried all types of different clay products, personally I still prefer to use a good old fashion clay bar! for some reason it just feels the most natural / right for me.

JohnsHandWash&Wax
03-04-2014, 04:09 PM
You know Jake, I was apprehensive about moving to products like these. IMO, they work great for well to decent to maintained vehicles. But anything less, I am unsure. For instance, I just detailed an SUV a few weeks ago that had never gotten any type of professional detail. I clay`d twice and threw the clay away after because it was so full of contaminants. Where does these newer rubber units move the contaminants too? Thats why I have wondered about rinsing them during the process. I personally always prefer to wash after claying. Yes, it takes up a bit more time, but I feel that it ensures any loosened contaminants are removed and you get an absolute clean surface for polishing or applying wax/sealant.

Jake
03-04-2014, 04:24 PM
They do work great for well maintained vehicles. The contaminants that gets trapped in the "clay" portion of these products never goes away, if you wash them with pressure washer or water you are able to remove some contaminants and reduce the chance of scratching or swirling up the paint's finish. That is why I still up to this day uses the traditional clay bar to do any of my details, don't get me wrong, I think these products are great, just personal opinions and experiences I guess. I don't want to risk it :D

Great questions John.

ejdetailing
03-04-2014, 05:48 PM
I have to say that I have the CG clay mitts, and now these Nanoskin sponges, and I've inspected my clay mitts and I can't see any bonded contaminants on the rubber layer which is why I believe the bonded contaminants were getting knocked off instead of absorbed. The rubber clay is no where near as sticky as a traditional clay bar. Also when I use the term bonded contaminants I mean contaminants that you can feel with your bare hands that feel like bumps. My main concern is if the bonded contaminants are knocked off you could potentially be rubbing the contaminant against the paint and create scratches.

I agree with you guys, the rubber clay is great for a well maintained vehicle but on some of my customer's vehicles that have been poorly maintained I started with the rubber mitt and ended up switching to the traditional clay because it wasn't removing the contaminants well.

JohnsHandWash&Wax
03-05-2014, 05:05 AM
Yea, I have a bit of clay left. Should`ve gotten more when CG had their sale.

inDetail
03-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Car-Pro Poly Shave block and DA pad. I will never go back to clay unless in tight spaces. They are much cheaper then Nanoskin and faster then clay.

MattMan
05-07-2014, 11:18 AM
I've used Nanoskin towels with great success. I'll wash a car as normal with two buckets and foam gun. I'll then use more foam as lubrication for the claying, dump the clean soap bucket, refill with clean water and grit guard, and use that to rinse off the Nanoskin after each panel.

Wed Turner
05-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Just getting back into doing this level of cleaning on cars and the industry has changed a bit. It is good to see some things, like regular old clay have not changed. The Nano skin products do intrigue me, but I haven't tried any of them out. Have been sticking to good old fashioned clay because I know how it works and how well it works. It is good to see and read these types of discussions. Gives an old timer like me ideas and insight.

XenaBimmer
05-12-2014, 06:54 PM
If you are using the Nanoskin sponge that the OP posted pics of, do you use it like regular clay with a product like Luber?

ejdetailing
05-12-2014, 07:37 PM
If you are using the Nanoskin sponge that the OP posted pics of, do you use it like regular clay with a product like Luber?

Yes, from experience CG Luber is the best lubricant for either the Nanoskin sponge, CG clay mitt or typical clay bar. I do professional detailing on the side and I own all three types of clay products. You can use the rubberized clay with any car wash soap which is a huge benefit because you can wash and clay bar at the same time, something you can't do with a traditional clay bar.

A few pictures of my customer's vehicles = http://ejdetailing.vpweb.com/Pictures.html

I recently detailed a 2001 Corvette and I used my CG blue clay mitt for bonded contaminant removal. I posted some of the pictures here:http://chemicalguysforum.com/showthread.php?959-2001-Corvette