PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of these water spots on glass

shahsmerdis
10-09-2015, 06:33 PM
I've had these water spots since I bought my 2013 subaru. I've replaced wiper blade after wiper blade and that helps for about 3 months and they seem to come back again. Maybe I'm using the wrong type? I bought bosch icons supposedly top of the line and still no dice. I doubt its the wiper blades at this point because I barely use them and they come back. I'm sure the firmness of the new wiper blade makes a difference, but there has to be something more to this.

Ive used clay bar and V36 and worked it in for a good time, topped it off with jetseal and a bunch of different types of waxes. Still there. Shall I try V34? If no other detailing method will work I am going to call my insurance company and say the glass is lost.

I bought some water spot remover, going to use that and orange pad to see if this will fix the issue. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

ViperGuy21
10-10-2015, 04:56 AM
Glass is really freaking hard. If you can't get it out with a firm pad and a compound you can try some specific glass products but CG doesn't make any. You'd have to go over to autogeek for that

Dogcatcher
10-10-2015, 06:38 AM
Try "0000 steel wool" you can find it at Walmart or your local hardware store. Make sure it has the four zeros. Steel wool comes in different grits or ott's. 0000 is the finest smoothest.

Subtle Perfection
11-09-2015, 11:22 PM
Im running into the same issue. Ive tried everything from Waterspot RX to V32 with a Yellow pad. it has barely done anything for my Jetta i'm gonna try the steel wool tomorrow between Detail jobs. any recommendation for a lube or dry application seems to work? Thanks!

GlossWurkz
11-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Griot's make a glass polish I've had reasonable luck with. Make sure to use a microfiber pad as they have more cut.

Subtle Perfection
11-11-2015, 01:53 AM
Thank you so much!

MattMan
11-11-2015, 08:24 AM
I've had better luck removing heavy water spot stains and minor etching from glass using a Microfiber cutting pad and cutting polish on a dual action machine. Glass can be ruined by water and chemical etching just like paint, though, so remember that good maintenance and preventative detailing is key to saving the glass from the trash heap. Once it gets too far gone, just like with windshield pits and chips, it's time to replace the pane.

HRV2016
11-28-2015, 11:15 AM
So you jet seal and wax the glass? Sorry. New to this.

shahsmerdis
12-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Going back to OEM Wiper blades. Mechanic told me they are the best. Lets see what that does. Still haven't had time to try out machine applications. I'm going to give it a few shots. if it doesn't work im getting a new glass. its covered under insurance. there is a few pits anyway. i'm sure they will take it.

srpurdy
12-09-2015, 12:34 AM
how often do you actually clean your wiper blades? Because they can get really sticky gunk on them. Visually they may look clean, and a wash won't remove that crap. It's important to keep them as clean as possible.

pepeleascov
01-04-2016, 07:11 AM
Don't EVER use steel wool to "clean" your windshield!
There's some specific products to remove those water spots. The best that I used so far was the Water Spot Remover from Malco (Didn't had a chance to test the Chemical Guys water spot remover yet). Simply apply it with a soft, not too abrasive sponge / pad and you are good to go! Take a look:

Before:

After:

Hand-detailed to remove those water spots, didn't even need a machine !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb1xSWi0Ahk

Clear all that and then apply JETSEAL to your windshield. It's perfect !