PDA

View Full Version : Pads and entry into polishing questions

ViperGuy21
06-03-2015, 07:01 AM
So, how many pads did you start off with when getting in to machine polishing? How many do you go through now per car per step? How many would you recommend to someone to get who wants to start machine polishing? What procedures do you use to clean on the fly(Don't just say pad washer. That's so expensive!)? How do you tell when the pads are too saturated to use? About how much compound/polish do you go through on an average size car?
I hope to be getting a polisher in about a month and am a little unsure about pads. I know these questions are kinda vague and a little difficult to answer definitively, but I would appreciate it if you guys could help me out a little here!

GlossWurkz
06-03-2015, 07:55 AM
I started out small, 2 X Orange, White, Black in both 5 & 6" . Now I have at least 2 ov every color pad from 6inch down to 2 inch. I also have a pad washer so that keeps my pad count down. Being able to clean pads on the fly saves time! Before the pad washer was pad cleaner and gloves in the sink.
As for pad saturation... that really depends on the product and pad combo as well as the paint. Soo many variables, in general the pad is saturated when it stops cutting correctly, dusting or slinging, and/or feels gummy.
Using CG products, again depends on what you are doing, a little goes a long way. Light polishing you would use 1/4 bottle(16oz) of v36 or less. This varies with paint hardness and the amount of damage to the paint surface.
What polisher are you purchasing? I would recommend the Torq10 (although I don't have one), or the Flex XC 3401 VRG. I have the Flex and prefer it over my Porter Cable 7424XP. The Torq10 from my research is more powerful than the PC and will serve you better as a starter. The Flex is a great next step, its gear driven and speeds up the polishing process. I found 5" pads worked best, you get the best combo of control/manoeverability and correction power.

ViperGuy21
06-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks for all the info!
I'm probably going to get a PC because its cheaper. I'm hopefully gonna get it for my birthday, and will ask for the TORQ, but will probably get the PC since you can get it on Amazon right now for like $99 shipped and taxed with a promotion they have going on. Worst case scenario I can buy one with birthday money and money I earn doing detailing jobs(hopefully)this summer. Would you recommend looking at the GG6 maybe? Its in between the TORQ and the PC price wise and I have heard some good things about it on AGO. Do you think getting 2 orange, 2 white, 2 black, 1 blue, and 1 red would work well? Orange and white for correcting, black for V38, blue for glazing, and red for sealants and waxes?

GlossWurkz
06-03-2015, 05:32 PM
I've heard the same on the GG6 but have never used one. As far as pads go, yeah you have a great start, maybe even 1 Black and 2 Blue. Blue has slight bit of cut over the black, I use Blue for White/Black Light, V38/Final Polish, and black for some sealants and liquid waxes. Really depends on how the surface is reacting to the pad/product combo for finishing.

TXShine
06-03-2015, 09:55 PM
If you're doing a full vehicle it's good to have 4-5 pads. If I were you, I'd get 5 orange, 2-3 whites and 2-3 red or blacks. That will set you up nicely. To clean them, I just use the pad cleaner spray and the orange pad cleaning brush that CG sells, it works great.

You won't go through a ton of polish, so just try and get the 16oz kit that comes with all 4 V Line products. If the vehicles are in fair shake, pick up some VSS. If you want to compound, Polish and Seal in one step, get a bottle of V4. If money is tight, get the sampler pack that is only 4 ounces. You'll get several full polishes with that kit and you'll only be using it twice a year anyway.

You should really consider getting a kit because they come with polish, pads, pad cleaner and pad conditioner. It's the best deal in the long run because you're going to need that stuff anyway.

Two3zz
06-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Viper... PM Sent

ViperGuy21
06-08-2015, 03:11 PM
If you're doing a full vehicle it's good to have 4-5 pads. If I were you, I'd get 5 orange, 2-3 whites and 2-3 red or blacks. That will set you up nicely. To clean them, I just use the pad cleaner spray and the orange pad cleaning brush that CG sells, it works great.

You won't go through a ton of polish, so just try and get the 16oz kit that comes with all 4 V Line products. If the vehicles are in fair shake, pick up some VSS. If you want to compound, Polish and Seal in one step, get a bottle of V4. If money is tight, get the sampler pack that is only 4 ounces. You'll get several full polishes with that kit and you'll only be using it twice a year anyway.

You should really consider getting a kit because they come with polish, pads, pad cleaner and pad conditioner. It's the best deal in the long run because you're going to need that stuff anyway.

I don't really want to go with VSS or V4 because I imagine I will really enjoy doing the polishing so I won't mind spending the extra time for the better results from multi-step. Right now the PC is only $98 on Amazon at checkout and CG sells the Orange, white and black pad combo w/ a bottle of pad cleaner for $20 so getting them separate is actually a better deal right now. As for conditioner I will just use detail spray.
Thanks for the pad info!!!

dlc2
11-11-2015, 02:39 PM
I started with 4 green, 4 blue, and two red.

I then got two packs of the complete range.

Even after trying the yellow and orange pads, I still got better cut out of the green pad. So, green, and blue are all I really use for cutting and polishing.

Occasionally I will use my polish on the green for a "one step" on harder paints. Typical one step jobs are handled by the blue pad, as is finish polishing. I added the black pads to use with cleaner wax/sealants, and still use the red for pure sealants.

In testing, the green pad consistently loads faster than the orange or yellow, which means that it's simply picking up more material from the paint. They are also much easier to handle, and contour to body lines more easily. Oh, and they don't require as much downward presaure. DAT, SMAT - doesn't matter. These pads work well with any type of compound or polish.

Sorry for being long winded!

4 for cutting, 4 for polishing, two foe waxing / cleaner waxes to start.

tenblade2001
11-17-2015, 11:03 PM
I would recommend starting out with one pad per section. If you want to see how to clean...search "clean on the fly and Mike phillips" on google or youtube. As far as which DA to use...that's the million dollar question and you will get different answers depending on a person's experience. The GG6 is VERY popular (powerful and lifetime warranty). I have the Flex3401 and 7424XP. the 7424 is a great DA...every bit as good as GG6 but some would argue that point.