PDA

View Full Version : Torq 10FX or Pressure Washer & Foam Cannon

bradrick
06-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Right now I have several of the Chemical Guys products and am looking to expand my ability to do the best detail job on my cars as possible. I am trying to figure out if I should buy a pressure washer and foam cannon next or a Torq 10FX polisher.

I have a 2014 Ram 3500 pickup and a 2009 VW Jetta that I detail. Living in New Hampshire and back on a dirt road, both get dirty from the roads and the winter. The Jetta could surely use some polishing, probably with V36. The truck, being newer, probably only needs VSS. It would be great to get a polisher to make the vehicles look their best. The scratches, swirl marks, and spider webs drive me nuts.

On the other hand if I got a pressure washer and a foam cannon I could do all the washes from here on out the best possible way. Is the 2-bucket method just as good? If I were to get a polisher would I be ruining all my work by washing without a foam cannon and pressure washer? It seems I would use the pressure washer and foam cannon more than a polisher; however, the polisher does something that I cannot currently do by hand.

My finances will allow only one right now and with the great summer weather upon us I will be detailing my cars frequently. What do you guys think?

TXShine
06-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Your best bet is to get the pressure washer and foam cannon first. You'll be using these items every week and sometimes maybe more than that. Yes it's nice to have s polisher, but you'll use it 2-3 times a year. Got the PW and foam cannon and then save up for the Torq later. Also, with the foam cannon, you will reduce the chance of scratching and causing swirls, which means you use the polisher less anyway.

Busymind
06-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Harbor Freight DA for around $60. Has more power than the Torq. Worth it if you only plan on detailing your own car. Foam cannon looks cool and makes for popular Instagram photos but at the end of the day you still need to touch the paint with a wash mitt. The polisher can be used on the paint, headlights, tail lights, wheels, chrome trim, exhaust tips, windows... Once your paint is actually CLEAN and smooth, then whatever wax or sealant you apply will adhere better and last longer. This will make for easier washes in the future.

GlossWurkz
06-03-2015, 08:04 AM
I too would recommend the polisher over the washer and cannon. The results will be better and as long as you are 2 bucket washing properly, reinstalling swirls will be at a minimum. You will find V36 works well on the Dodge paint, V34 if she's really groovy. When in doubt, buy the small V series kit. V4 All-In-One is a great finishing protecting product as well, built my business on it.
The foam cannon was one of the last pieces to my arsenal, due to cost mostly. It does make a bit of a difference when washing, but Busymind is right you still need to touch the paint. The foam cannon just adds more lubrication.

MattMan
06-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Get the foam cannon first. You'll be undoing all your polishing work if you can't clean and maintain your cars properly, you could potentially scratch and swirl them all over again in just one improper wash.

Use the foam cannon to augment and enhance your wash methods. You should definitely still use the two bucket method, with a separate bucket just for wheels. That will ensure the lowest possible chance of cross-contaminating your paintwork with heavier brake dust and contamination. Of course, use premium microfiber towels and wash mitts, these things touch your paint more than anything else.

https://youtu.be/OpH4xtzCVI8?t=6m38s

https://youtu.be/DtIclETO9tA

VSS has heavier cutting powers than V36. Try using VSS on an microfiber cutting pad on your VW once the time comes. I used that combination on my Passat in the water spot video and it took care of the damage and finished the hard paint quickly.

https://youtu.be/G4ZjKqhsSdQ

bradrick
06-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Thank you guys.

It makes great sense to start with the foam cannon and pressure washer even though the combined expense of those two items is greater than a polisher. But, if I start with the washer and cannon I will stop putting scratches and swirls in, thus making for less polishing, and, as Matt said, undoing any polishing work.

Thanks again for the help.

ccarney
06-12-2015, 03:51 PM
I say polisher. A proper two bucket method will not swirl paint. Foam cannons just take cool pictures.

MattMan
06-12-2015, 04:14 PM
You can also consider getting a foam gun and "prime" the wash mitt as you wash the car. That's spraying the foam gun directly into the wash mitt for maximum lubrication on each wipe.

This way you can save money on the pressure washer and cannon and maybe have enough left over to get both a foam gun and a polisher now.

https://youtu.be/DtIclETO9tA
https://youtu.be/nVXLg6bCIEo

ccarney
06-13-2015, 06:51 AM
bradrick - I wonder how the foam gun is necessary, yet Eco-smart is completely safe on a super dirty car.

I stand by the two bucket method, without a foam cannon. I do own a foam cannon and it defiantly has it uses. If you ever have to detail a car that has been parked under a tree, foaming the car, and letting the soap dwell on the paint really loosens the junk up. For dirt and road grim I find the two bucket method works fine. I see you are from NH, I am from MA and the winters can be hard to wash a car. The power washer is a great way to rinse your car in the winter. I pre-rinse, foam and rinse. I can do this when the temp is above 25 degrees. It gets the car 70 percent clean.

Cal Blacksmith
06-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Unless you don't wash your wheels, you need 3 buckets, one for the wheels, you don't want to get brake grime into the tools, wash mits or buckets that you use on paint.

There are foam guns that attach to the end of your garden hose that work very well. They don't have the spray power of a pressure washer but they do whip up the soap just fine.

I use Eco smart a LOT, in fact, after I did a paint correction to my car last labor day, it has not had a water washing since. Synthetic detail spray for light dust and Eco smart when it gets a little dirty. It never gets REALLY dirty as I think I might just have a heart attack if it got like that. I have used EcoSmart on my truck when it gets dirty.. not filthy though as again that does not happen.

Eco smart and a few MF towels and a little time and you are done washing and you have a new layer of wax to boot.