PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for these wheels

fdtrucks
04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
I just ordered a da polisher to take care of personal vehicles and maybe a detail or two on the side. Everything I have done with the wheels has been by hand. They were in worse shape when I picked the truck up. I am curious to see what recomendations I can get to give them some more life. After I wash the wheels/tires/truck, I go over them with an aluminum cleaner and then wax them with a paste wax and follow with Butter Wet Wax. The images are of just one of my wheels in its best state. I am looking to get rid some of the staining and improve the gloss. After waxing it only holds up a few days then looks dull. I recently purchased some Jet Seal with the polisher so when they arrive I will also have those to work with. Any help will be appreciated.16611662

inDetail
04-30-2015, 05:29 PM
If they are clear coated wheels do not use a metal polish.
They look clean except for staining. I'm not sure if that is clear coat failure or staining. It may be bad water etching. It's hard to tell. I would wash them clay them then use a paint polish to polish them out.
First to see if they are clear coated. When you use the metal polish does the rag turn black? If not they are clear coated. Use a paint polishing compound and go at it. Wheels can be tough to polish with a machine unless they are off the car.
It does not look like you have any serious decon on them so Iron X, Colourtec may not be needed.
Once you get them to a point when you are happy. You may have to do one a weekend. Get a coating for them. Wheels get hot and brake dust is like throwing hot coals on them. There are several that range in price and durability. Waxes and sealants will be gone in a few months. If you don't feel comfortable applying a coating I will give you two FK1000 and 476 Double Coat. Standard waxes cheap, cheap, cheap and will give you LONG lasting protection. FK1000 was designed for high temp applications like an engine bay.

Two3zz
05-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Hard to tell for sure, but seeing the pic reminds me of the friggin cat pee (sprits) stains I've had to deal with.
With multiple cars it is weird how they are attracted to some and not others. It goes un-noticed, gets cooked... and we have a stain. Get really mad when I find it on my expensive Centerline Wheels.

TXShine
05-01-2015, 12:14 PM
I think your best bet is to try Diablo wheel cleaner first and then take a clay bar to them. It's also going to be a lot easier to pull them off the vehicle.

fdtrucks
05-09-2015, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will finally have the needed time to spend some time on them this weekend. I do not believe there is any clear left if there was any. When I clean them I get some pretty black rags. I will be able to update more after this weekend.

GlossWurkz
05-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Those wheels were orginally cleared from factory, v36 and a green pad should do wonders.

fordadict79
05-11-2015, 10:44 AM
What would you use to hand polish wheels that look like this? i have Weld Racing Pro-Stars and they look the same way.

GlossWurkz
05-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Heavy metal polish and a BuffBall drill attachment. Then seal them up with a couple of coats of Wheel Guard or JetSeal.