PDA

View Full Version : Buffer

GT Buckeye
03-15-2015, 02:22 PM
I have a basic 10" orbital buffer. It works well. Is there value in getting a variable speed orbital buffer? I only work on my own cars.

GlossWurkz
03-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Yes, in my opinion the big orbitals are only good to apply and remove wax. They lack the power to do much else. Pick up a Torq or a Flex, jobs will go a lot faster with better quality.

TXShine
03-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Be careful with a flex as you can burn your paint up in short order. I've heard so many good things about the Torq. I too only do my own vehicles and when I started I was brand new to polishing. After loads and loads of research I opted to to the safe route and get something that would not damage my paint, I bought a Porter Cable 7424XP. I paid $200 on a special and got a bunch of extras like pads, pad cleaner and pad conditioners. I have now far outgrown the PC, but just can't bring myself to get a flex or Rupes. Yes, it takes me a little longer, but the results are amazing. If I were making the choice today, I'd get a torq.

inDetail
03-24-2015, 03:40 PM
You cannot damage paint with a Flex 3401 VRG XC unless you are dry buffing with a spent pad. If you manage to do that you have no business going near a car with a power tool. It's forced rotation but also orbits like a traditional DA. I use mine all day long and have never damaged paint. You cannot go wrong with one. No way you can stop a Flex from Spinning Better then a Rupes IMO. Rupes has the throw but lack the power. They stall on contoured panels and it is quite easy to stop them.
Pending your $ My advice Flex> Griots V3 DA (750w motor)> The new Meg's DA. If you really want to fly on a budget pick up a Harbor Freight DA.
They only thing that burns paint is the operator.