PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber and "less"/waterless wash

Bobekdj
02-04-2015, 06:41 AM
Hey all, have been trying to keep up my car using (less/waterless) wash during the winter when it warms above freezing temps in Ohio. I am in an apartment so most washes are in the lot, or I have to lug supplies to a coin-op wash (CG 2 bucket method and supplies work fantastic, but prep time and transport takes a long time (1-1.5h total) vs waterless wash (30-40min)).

I want to get some more microfiber towels, but am not sure what would be best? I have used EcoWash, EcoSmart, Ultima WW+, and Infinite Use Detail Juice. So far I think I like the IUDJ with the GD wash method (soaking microfibers in bucket, and then spraying car with sprayer for pre-soak). I resisted this for a while and thought the 2 bucket method was the only option, but I must say the GD method works well with most of these waterless/less water wash products. The bonus is your car looks great because you are drying as you go, which eliminates the need for a lot of V7 as drying aid, and any streaks that may occur. Also cuts down on run-off when you drive away.

As for the microfiber, I ordered one of each of the MF cloths from GD's website, and I must say I am very disappointed. While they do feel soft, I think the autozone ones I retired with my last car seem better quality. So far the CG workhorse towels have been great, but they also sell the gold premium grade MF ("professional oem") towels which have a much higher nap to them (at least on one side) and the other is slightly more fluffy at least than the CG green towels. It appears to me that the gold ones would do a better job encapsulating the dirt similar to a MF wash mitt? And since you use 8 or so per car theres no risk for contamination so thats a non-issue. On amazon you can get the gold towels for $1 more than the green in the 12 packs. Since its such a minuscule amount more for what appears to be a higher quality towel, my main question is:

Is there a reason to use green workhorse towels for waterless washes, or would the gold pro grade OEM towels be better (since cost is a non-issue)?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading

-D

Keeper Oath
06-10-2015, 02:08 PM
I am curious to see replies to the OP's post as well. I have a heated garage so I can do my cleaning even when outside temps are below freezing. I want to add the question as to cost since it is an issue for me; I am retired.

I'm looking at using the EcoSmart waterless washes this winter when I'm stuck in the garage. Per your estimate, what quantity of EcoSmart and how many microfiber cloths should I need to clean a Toyota 4Runner?

inDetail
06-10-2015, 06:11 PM
you want to use a higher gsm towel for a ww wash it will hold more solution so you can do an entire panel with one towel. I would go edgeless if you can. The rag company and MF tech are good places to look. I love the CG gold with black band but would not use them for a waterless or rinsless.

TXShine
06-10-2015, 10:41 PM
I use two different towels when using EcoSmart. The first is a Waffle Weave, they pick liquids and whatever is on your car very well. For the final wipe down and buff, I use a high gsm towel like the Happy Ending towel from CG. I go through several waffle weave towels, but only a few of the others. I do not use the work horse towels on my cars paint. They have jobs all over the rest of the car and interior.

I Use approximately 5-6 ounces of EcoSmart per wash and I usually spray it on very liberally.

ccarney
06-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Its hard to say without knowing the GSM of the towels. CG states "Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towel has 380,000 strands per square inch", but I look at GSM when buying a towel and determining what task I will use it for.

You want a High GSM towel for waterless washes. It will "pull" the dirt up and off the car when you wipe.

I have not used the workhorse towels but I use the Chemical Guys MIC50612 Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towels and I like them. I have used ECOSmart with them and the towels does a great job. Not nearly as nice as a Rag Company Edgeless blue but its way better than any department store microfiber.