PDA

View Full Version : Subaru WRX Lightning Red needs help!

RedRex
01-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Hello all,

I am in need of some help. I bought this car about 2 years ago now and the previous owner really did a number on it, with incorrect washing as well as driving it through gravel or something. I have been using chemical guys product on it for a while now and love them. I recently got a porter cable to help with the paint. But after I wash my car, use the after wash solution it just seems to make the swirls stand out a lot more. I either use ecosmart or waterless wash, or I use a two bucket method and use a watering can as my hose method. I live in an apartment complex so don't have a hose to use. But I'm wondering if I'm causing more damage. What I try to do is get the car wet and do a thorough rinse of the area I'm going to start with. After the rinse I get my dreadlock mit and let the soaked soup run down the car to loosen the debris. I soak the mit again and then proceed to wash the car using two bucket method. I follow by rinsing with the water can. I then blow the area off with a SK1 blower and then blot the rest with microfiber towels. I use the the afterwash in conjunction to the blower and microfiber towels. I know Subaru paint is thin so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Busymind
01-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Pictures always help. Is it possible that you're cleaning the top layer of crud off and just revealing the swirled paint from the previous owner? Some of the dirty cars I get look ok from a few feet away, but once I wash them all the defects stand out a lot more. I would clean up a section with your PC where you get the majority of the swirls out and then continue your wash routine and see if more swirls show up in the future. At least that's one idea...

RedRex
01-19-2015, 02:07 PM
For sure, I actually tried that this past weekend. Washed with Wash and Gloss, clay bared, I used V36 on a orange pad, then followed by V38 on a white, and used m-seal after that. I did see a difference but i think the paint has some chips in it too from small rocks and such. I will grab some pics and post them on here.

RedRex
01-20-2015, 01:19 PM
So ya I think the swirls are gone on a panel I did, but its more chips and stuff like that from rocks. Is that something that can't be repairs or patched up?

MattMan
01-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Rock chips are unavoidable and normal from driving your car. swirls come from neglect and never belong on paint!

you can repair rock chips, and you should if they go all the way through the paint. You can try some touchup paint yourself, just blot it into the chips to fill em up. If there's lots of em and it's really bad, you may just have to get the panel repainted.

RedRex
01-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Hey Thanks man. Ya i thought it was goign to come down to it. I might have someone from a body shop take a look at it. Would you followup with like a clear coat sealant or something after painting touchup?

I love chemical guys products. I just signed up for the Intro to polishing for February. I'm super stoked about coming man. You guys will have to check out my subie. I have a lot of people admire it already even though i think the paint needs some work.
Hope to see you there man