PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Benz Bad Swirl.

Searay45db
12-28-2014, 01:46 PM
I just picked up a black 2013 E class. Swore I would never buy another black one. Due to a comedy of errors, it got a really bad swirl/scratch in the clear coat. Don't need a black light for this.

So, I srated out with an orange pad with V34. It got a lot out out, but still have some spots. I went to V32 using a micro fiber cutting pads with a Porter Cable DA. It took some more of it out, but not all of it. Went over it maybe 4 different times. Then did 34' 36 with an orange pad. Did V38' been though it was like a bottle of water. One thin I noticed was that as I wiped the polish off, using the yellow mf towels, they need to do a chart for mf towels, that the towel was black. Pretty sure it wasn't paint. Yes, I did clay the car.

I then did black light, waited 15 minutes, removed. Waited thirty minutes, re-applied black light. Removed after 30. No swirl marks except for some of the orginal one.

I removed the black light with the light blue mf towels. So, to most people it looks really good, but to me, all I can see are the remainder of the swirls.

Not sure I am going to remove the clear with a DA even with a mf cutting pad. But, based on this, is it better to go back and use 32 to get the rest out with a mf pad or go more aggressive? I know I will undo all of the work.

Thoughts?

GlossWurkz
12-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Pics?
Try using a Purple Foamed Wool Pad and V34 for the heavy scratch. You will need to follow up with V36 and a white pad to clear out the hazing left behind.
The fact that your pad is black worries me. I'm wondering if the car has had a paint touch up, and someone used single stage or mixed color into the clear to blend over.

dball42
12-30-2014, 06:23 AM
the whole yellow towel turning black thing worries me as glosswurkz stated.. does your pad turn black as well or just the towel? i know when buffing single stages my pads get all jacked up. i second on the purple foamed wool pad, those newer benzs with their ceramic clear coat can be a royal pain to buff out unless you use the right pads! Please post up some pics under light for us!

MattMan
12-30-2014, 08:40 AM
You're not going to get 100% defect or scratch removal.. it's just not possible.

If you want new, you just have to buy new.

Searay45db
12-31-2014, 09:20 PM
I will post some pics tomorrow. Have been out of town.

Not famiilar with the purple wool pad. Usually wool generates heat.

Not so sure I have clear coat damage, on one side, MB has really hard clear coat. The beauty of waterbed car coats. In theory, this hood could've been repainted poorly, but doubtful. I will put a paint gauge to it. If original, I guess I can do the and paper test, just hit a corner. If the paper is back, then the clear has been compromised. I will try and take some photos of the rags.

On another note, There are so many wax's, Pete's, etc. For Black MB, any opinions?

Searay45db
01-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Ok, back home. I think the black I a, seeing on the towels are from the black light. I went back and flayed the car, used V38 with a pink pad. Two coats of black light. Now getting ready to apply the Jet Seal. Do I have to wait to apply wax? I know you need 12 hours of set-up time.

I also did the roof and back top of the hood. I am thinking this hood has been painted because when I look at the hood vs. The rest of the car, I am seeing a different finish. Going to go to the dealer tomorrow and use their paint gauge.

Searay45db
01-02-2015, 04:39 PM
So....I redid the hood, with V38, black light x2. JetSeal, V7, and the Black Wax. Looked the same, then I pulled the car out of the garage. It looked awesome. Took it to the dealer, factory paint everywhere.

inDetail
01-09-2015, 04:04 PM
MB has extremely hard clear. If you want fast correction you need to use an SMAT compound or a SMAT DAT hybrid. With a da and a DAT compound you will be there all day. DAT abrasives diminish over the polishing cycle usually too fast to cut hard clear with a da. SMAT do not diminish. They cut the same until they flash or you stop. SMAT have a little learning curve, you need to get a feel for when it will flash so you can back off on the pressure speed up the hand motion so the finish out nicely. Good thing.some SMAT will finish near lsp ready with one compound.

GlossWurkz
01-11-2015, 06:23 PM
CG 700 series works good for that sort of correction.