PDA

View Full Version : Problem polishing 2002 Camaro SS

82cdtrooper
12-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Good evening,

I am a total rookie when it comes to this. After reading and watching videos I decided to take a stab at correcting my black Camaro SS. Here is what I picked up.

Harbor Freight orange, blue and black pad
Meguiar's 105,205 and glaze #7

Initial results were dismal. I soaked the pad, did not use enough pressure and went to fast. After reading some more I went over again with better results. Or so I thought...I wiped the area down with IPA solution in preparation for the glaze. Immediately I noticed swirl mark heaven. What happened to my beautiful finish? I decided to pick up a few chemical guys products at this point. I ordered the plethora of hex logic pads and a new 5inch flex backing pad for my Harbor Freight DA polisher. After the pads arrived, I went to work with the yellow hex logic pad & 105. This worked wonders. Afterwards, I switched to the 205 and hex logic white pad. Got to where I thought I was done. Next came the IPA wipe to prep for the Black light, Jet Seal then Pete's wax. Again. SWIRL MARK HEAVEN!! I am at a stopping point. Yesterday I ordered the V line of polishes/compounds in hopes it is just the meguiars. Any one have any insight or advice for my poor Camaro?

82cdtrooper
12-11-2014, 04:24 PM

Another picture of the horrible swirls left over.

TdawgtheGreat
12-11-2014, 06:53 PM
my friend just did a paint correction on a Camaro and linked me to a post Meguiars made about Camaro paint. Apparently its a very, very hard paint. He used a Rupes 21 and it was still hard to correct. I'll try to find the post later and link it to you.

shahsmerdis
12-11-2014, 06:54 PM
What kind of towels are using?

please give us the link.

If you aren't using a brand new towel that is meant for final paint you are going to be going in circles.

Are you doing this in a test spot? I really suggest going to a scrap yard and finding a hood or something to practice on there only so many times you repolish.

105 you need to follow up with a lighter polish, but definitely not that!

ccarney
12-12-2014, 04:15 AM
After the compound/polish it looks great? Sounds like something in the IPA wipedown process is damaging the paint. What are you using for a microfiber?

82cdtrooper
12-12-2014, 06:20 AM
I am using the Chemical Guys green work horse MF towel. They are brand new towels. I started out with a small test area on both sessions. Everything looked great until I wiped down the area with IPA which then revealed a ton of swirls. It almost seems, in my opinion, the M205 did not remove the swirls caused by the M105.

82cdtrooper
12-12-2014, 06:22 AM
That is correct. At the moment I am using the green Chemical Guys MF towels. Everywhere I read states the M205 should be used after M105. Yet, it seems M205 is not removing the marks left by compounding.

MattMan
12-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Wait till you get the V line. Start with just a test spot and try different combinations until you get good results. Pull the car into the sun after each test to check your work.. the sun reveals all!

We recommend starting with the least aggressive combination, so orange pad with V36, then white pad V38. If that doesn't work, try V34 then V36, only then V32. You can also try cutting with an orange microfiber pad if your paint is really hard.

Also check your technique.. Polishing is all about feel. You need to put some pressure when polishing with a DA. Bear down just enough to hear the note of the machine drop and see the pad spin a little slower, to where you can see the black lines you draw on the backing plate, but not actually count them.. if that makes sense. It's super hard to explain this through text!

82cdtrooper
12-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Wait till you get the V line. Start with just a test spot and try different combinations until you get good results. Pull the car into the sun after each test to check your work.. the sun reveals all!

We recommend starting with the least aggressive combination, so orange pad with V36, then white pad V38. If that doesn't work, try V34 then V36, only then V32. You can also try cutting with an orange microfiber pad if your paint is really hard.

Also check your technique.. Polishing is all about feel. You need to put some pressure when polishing with a DA. Bear down just enough to hear the note of the machine drop and see the pad spin a little slower, to where you can see the black lines you draw on the backing plate, but not actually count them.. if that makes sense. It's super hard to explain this through text!

Thanks for your advice Matt. The Vline arrived today along with the MF pads. I will get started in just a few and see how it goes.

82cdtrooper
12-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Well, I followed the steps and total failure. Somehow I have introduced more swirl marks inaddition to marring the finish. Now I have a dull finish. All the pads listed for the polishing system chart under V36 I tried, even a black MF pad. Nothing removed the swirl marks. I stepped down to V34 w/hex logic orange. That combo gave me the dull finish and more defects. I switched pads to the greenish color listed on the top of the V34 chart. Nothing overly noticeable changed. As a final step I tried the orange microfiber cutting pad w/V36. This started to remove the haze but not the swirl marks. After a second pass, I now have my dull haze back again. What am I missing? Do I need to step down to V32? All pads listed a chemical guys pads by the way.

TdawgtheGreat
12-13-2014, 04:03 PM
V34 will leave some "hazing" because its a compound. Should remove the swirls though.

82cdtrooper
12-13-2014, 04:39 PM
V34 will leave some "hazing" because its a compound. Should remove the swirls though.

Ok. Since swirls are still there I should make a few more passes until they are gone ,right?

Wed Turner
12-13-2014, 08:11 PM
What speed are you setting the DA to? How many passes are you making?

Something just doesn't seem right.

82cdtrooper
12-13-2014, 09:15 PM
What speed are you setting the DA to? How many passes are you making?

Something just doesn't seem right.

I am going by the directions on the V line bottles which say 5-6 speed setting. I do two passes with moderate pressure then reduced for the final 4 passes. I'm in compelete agreement with you. This is a Camaro and it does not have some mystical paint haha. I cannot figure out for the life of me why I am not cutting out these blasted swirl marks. I'm hoping someone can point me to the right pad/polish combo.

TdawgtheGreat
12-14-2014, 11:06 AM
The camaro's paint is super soft. If you look at it wrong you'll start marring the paint. Here is the Detail group that discussed how to correct the extremely sensitive Black Camaro paint.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Detailingfordummies/permalink/395000337325247/?comment_id=398155993676348&offset=0&total_comments=47&notif_t=group_comment_mention

82cdtrooper
12-15-2014, 06:05 AM
I don't have facebook. Is there a different way to link me to the article?

The camaro's paint is super soft. If you look at it wrong you'll start marring the paint. Here is the Detail group that discussed how to correct the extremely sensitive Black Camaro paint.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Detailingfordummies/permalink/395000337325247/?comment_id=398155993676348&offset=0&total_comments=47Čif_t=group_comment_mention

82cdtrooper
12-15-2014, 06:18 AM

This is what I am not able to get rid of.

dball42
12-15-2014, 07:24 AM
soft black paint like yours i would drop the speed a notch or two and go with a green hex or white with v36 to get rid of that haze, just take your time and use slow controlled passes with even pressure. let the machine do the work dont push too hard. that was my mistake when i first started using a d/a. takes time to find the right pad/polish combo for each car. I love the V line but there are cases where i find myself reaching for something like menzerna sf 4500 for really soft paint. as frustrating as it gets just stay patient!! a detail i did this past weekend.. black is worth the work!

MattMan
12-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Compounds remove heavier defects like swirls, scratches, and water spots. They may leave behind a "haze," and this is good. The paint surface is now even and flat again. now you need to follow the compound with a lighter polish/swirl remover to refine the finish to a deep lustrous shine.

You're using microfiber pads, right?

I'd follow V34 on microfiber cutting with either V38 on microfiber finishing pad, or V36 on white hex-logic pad to remove the compound haze.

Try it out!

82cdtrooper
12-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Compounds remove heavier defects like swirls, scratches, and water spots. They may leave behind a "haze," and this is good. The paint surface is now even and flat again. now you need to follow the compound with a lighter polish/swirl remover to refine the finish to a deep lustrous shine.

You're using microfiber pads, right?

I'd follow V34 on microfiber cutting with either V38 on microfiber finishing pad, or V36 on white hex-logic pad to remove the compound haze.

Try it out!

Hi Matt,

In my pictures I posted earlier this morning I still have not removed the swirl marks. The surface looks smooth etc..but under halogen light, it is swirls galore. Help me by telling me if my logic is right, I cannot move to the polishing step until I look with the inspection light and see no swirls, correct. In my last order I purchased the orange and black microfiber pads. I have tired all the pads combos with the V36 with no luck. Yesterday I tried v38 with a black pad, it is nice and shiny, but the swirls you see in the pictures are still present. I know this is not the products etc.. but is simply user error. Is it absolutely necessary to wipe down with IPA before applying blacklight?

82cdtrooper
12-15-2014, 08:47 AM
soft black paint like yours i would drop the speed a notch or two and go with a green hex or white with v36 to get rid of that haze, just take your time and use slow controlled passes with even pressure. let the machine do the work dont push too hard. that was my mistake when i first started using a d/a. takes time to find the right pad/polish combo for each car. I love the V line but there are cases where i find myself reaching for something like menzerna sf 4500 for really soft paint. as frustrating as it gets just stay patient!! a detail i did this past weekend.. black is worth the work!

GM paint for this model year is soft? I kept reading everywhere it is extremely hard?!?!?! I will try this combo after work today and see what kind of results I get.

dball42
12-15-2014, 10:37 AM
im sure you are already cautious, but just be very very careful when doing your IPA wipedown. that is unprotected paint and you can basically ruin it all over agian by applying too much pressure or continuing to buff after the ipa solution has dissolved.

side note, everyone may be saying that paint is hard, i know some are (my cts is very hard). But not all are the same and it can vary on a car to car basis depending on numerous factors. my Infiniti M35 literally states under the hood that it has "hard clear" but when polishing it acts like a very very soft paint.

TdawgtheGreat
12-17-2014, 12:47 PM
GM paint for this model year is soft? I kept reading everywhere it is extremely hard?!?!?! I will try this combo after work today and see what kind of results I get.

Yeah, there are lot of people having problems correcting the black camaro paint because its so soft everything it just marring the paint.

GlossWurkz
12-18-2014, 04:23 PM

+1

And no you dont need to use an IPA before BlackLight. Clay Luber is a good alternative as it lubes, cleans, and dries streak free. I also use CG SpeedWipe if the vehicle is going to sit before coating. It's anti-static properties work great for keeping airborn dust off.

inDetail
01-08-2015, 06:54 PM
From the looks of that one pic you are using way too much product, may not be cleaning your pads.
The Megs twins are SMAT which means they stop cutting when you stop. If that pic is Megs twins it looks like dirty pads, too much product and way too fast. check junkman2000 on you tube he shows proper polishing with a da using the twins

inDetail
01-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Ahh. - As I read the pics start making more sense. You have a technique issue most likely. I have cut a lot of soft clears and never had severe micro marring that you are getting. One thing to try is a lighter cut polish on a heavier cut pad. Skip the MF's they do not finish well on black.
Do a test spot of 205 on orange cut foam pad and see what happens. Tape out a 16x16 section on the trunk or hood and just focus on that section Don't worry about the product focus on technique. Proper priming, arm speed, pressure, paying attention to when and how long it takes the polish to flash, count the passes. Keep your pads clean. You can use any bright LED light you have flash light anything. I have a real tiny one that I can use to spot check while I'm working.( horizontal surfaces are easier to work on when your are dealing with technique.)

mrse7en
01-28-2015, 10:25 PM
my 2013 camaro is worse than yours....