PDA

View Full Version : Which Products and Pads To Use?

Carlover
12-09-2014, 02:42 PM
This is a picture of paint similar to what I will be working on soon.
The swirls are not too bad, but definitely still noticeable.
Which polish paired with which pads will completely correct this paint?
What grit would this be considered?

reliantj
12-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Orange hexlogic pad with v36, then follow up with white hnexlogic pad with v38 or v4.

GlossWurkz
12-09-2014, 06:33 PM
What kind of vehicle is it?

Carlover
12-09-2014, 06:37 PM
What kind of vehicle is it?

The one I will be working on is a 2009 Liquid Red Pontiac G8

GlossWurkz
12-10-2014, 06:18 AM
The one I will be working on is a 2009 Liquid Red Pontiac G8
GM red is pretty hard paint.
Personally I would start with V36 and a white or green pad and see where that takes you. Then V38 and a black or blue pad. Recently I did a correction on a rec Vette, it was far more swirled but had to go to V34 in spots due to the paint hardness.

shahsmerdis
12-10-2014, 07:17 AM
to be honest, I'd wait a little, or just go with v38 and see if a little jewelers polish will take it out. if you are gonna keep polishing every time it has little marring marks like that you are going to be without paint.

MattMan
12-10-2014, 09:17 AM
The correct pad/product to use will be the... correct pad and product. Polish a test spot to find the best combination for your particular car.

We generally say start with the least aggressive cutting pad/polish, so orange pad with V36.

Carlover
12-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I have a few more questions.
I also have a 3" DA. Which of the 3 Lake Country CCS pads would be equivalent to the Hexlogic pads suggested above?
I purchased some Final Polish Mirco-Polish Pure Polish Paintwork Cleaner a while back. If I were to use this after V38, would there be a noticeable difference?

GlossWurkz
12-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I have a few more questions.
I also have a 3" DA. Which of the 3 Lake Country CCS pads would be equivalent to the Hexlogic pads suggested above?
I purchased some Final Polish Mirco-Polish Pure Polish Paintwork Cleaner a while back. If I were to use this after V38, would there be a noticeable difference?

In some cases I prefer the Lake Country pads as they are thicker than the Hexlogic and put up with more heat from the Flex VRG machine. But yes essentially they are the same.

As for the Final Polish, in fact you would degrade the finish slightly. Use Final Polish on its own, or V38 after FP. But in my opinion you are doing basically the same thing twice. V38 is a finer "jewelers" polish and the FP will have a bit more cut from what I've found.
In my business, I use FP for a quick paint "cleaning" and swirl remover with a white or green pad, when a proper polish is out of the budget.

Carlover
12-10-2014, 03:44 PM
In some cases I prefer the Lake Country pads as they are thicker than the Hexlogic and put up with more heat from the Flex VRG machine. But yes essentially they are the same.

As for the Final Polish, in fact you would degrade the finish slightly. Use Final Polish on its own, or V38 after FP. But in my opinion you are doing basically the same thing twice. V38 is a finer "jewelers" polish and the FP will have a bit more cut from what I've found.
In my business, I use FP for a quick paint "cleaning" and swirl remover with a white or green pad, when a proper polish is out of the budget.

But which of the 3.5" CCS pads are similar to the white and green Hexlogic ones?
On the page for that polish it says that the grit range is 7000. Am I misunderstanding?

GlossWurkz
12-11-2014, 05:35 AM
But which of the 3.5" CCS pads are similar to the white and green Hexlogic ones?
On the page for that polish it says that the grit range is 7000. Am I misunderstanding?

The colors are the same from Hexlogic to LCC pads. As for the FP, I'm just telling what I've noticed using it and V38. 7000 grit would be only noticeable under magnification. I think V38 gets short changed with a rating of 3500-4500, but it's also a diminishing abrasive so it may finish beyond 7k grit.

Carlover
12-11-2014, 10:38 AM
The colors are the same from Hexlogic to LCC pads. As for the FP, I'm just telling what I've noticed using it and V38. 7000 grit would be only noticeable under magnification. I think V38 gets short changed with a rating of 3500-4500, but it's also a diminishing abrasive so it may finish beyond 7k grit.

Cool! Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.

So my process should look like this?
Start with V36 and white pad and see where that takes me (Move on to V36 and green pad if necessary)
V38 with a blue pad
Glaze with a black pad
Then sealant with a black pad?

GlossWurkz
12-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Yup, that's pretty much it. If you have a red pad they work better for sealant, blue or black pads for glaze. I used black for sealant for a year or so with no issues.

Carlover
12-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks again for the help!