PDA

View Full Version : clear coat carbon fiber

h516
11-13-2014, 04:12 PM
ok so a friend of mine has a carbon fiber hood and trunk. There is some spots that the clear coat is fading and peeling off and he was wanting to know if I could polish the spots out, or if he needs to get it resprayed for the clear. I was figuring that polishing wouldn't be able to fully fix the problem, but possibly touch it up a tad, so a respray would be my guess. I've never dealt with carbon fiber, so any input would be great.

Cal Blacksmith
11-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Regardless of what it is sprayed over, when a clear coat fails, the only cure is to sand it down and respray the car. About all you can hope for in working on the failing clear coat is to remove the white flaking edges where it has failed. Even if you manage to get all the failed coat off the edges, the clear coated places will be a different color than the places where it has failed.

h516
11-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Thats what I was thinking. Essentially I can put a band-aid on the problem, but a respray is gonna be the real solution. Thanks for the help

TdawgtheGreat
11-14-2014, 11:50 AM
By the time you get the peeling clearcoat out, the carbon will be bare and will VERY quickly start to turn yellow. Carbon does NOT like to be exposed to the sun.

GlossWurkz
11-15-2014, 06:39 PM
CF is usually sprayed in gelcoat similar to a boat. Try using V36 and a Green or White pad, test on the trunk lid first. The hood looks like it's delaminating so it may be toast. I assume the holes for the washer nozzles were drilled after the hood was manufactured.

MattMan
11-17-2014, 08:23 AM
You see this clear coat failure a lot on aftermarket carbon fiber panels from China.