PDA

View Full Version : Best way to detail a van with pin striping, vinyl wrap, and stock paint

Busymind
10-24-2014, 10:07 PM
There's a shop a few doors down that has a van with their logo painted on it. The van has custom pin striping, some vinyl lettering, and the original paint surface. The van is definitely showing its age and the pin striping graphics has some flaws. Several months ago the owner mentioned that he would get his van detailed every week when I mentioned detailing.
I'd like to approach him with a game plan and hope that I can earn his weekly loyalty. I'm wondering if I should try my best to use a matte detailer spray on the wrap/vinyl and then try to utilize Ecosmart on the rest. The thing that's tricky is that his graphics are overlapping and it will be hard to not mist some parts that may not like the wax in Ecosmart.
If I can make him happy, then he has some buddies that could benefit from similar services.
Any suggestions?

inDetail
10-25-2014, 02:03 PM
1/8" 3m vinyl tape. Then to give yourself more room add 1" painters tape on the inside of the 1/8" vinyl tape. I think you can get 1/4" and some local AP stores have it.
If you can get masking paper that's even better but you have to cut it to the shape of the graphic and make it a couple inches bigger to allow for contours. That is something you would have to order on line.

Busymind
10-25-2014, 02:19 PM
1/8" 3m vinyl tape. Then to give yourself more room add 1" painters tape on the inside of the 1/8" vinyl tape. I think you can get 1/4" and some local AP stores have it.
If you can get masking paper that's even better but you have to cut it to the shape of the graphic and make it a couple inches bigger to allow for contours. That is something you would have to order on line.

Damn that sounds like a lot of extra work. Haha...in his mind he probably expects optimum shine finish for $40. I may have to take another look at it. Lots of prep work for a basic wash. I probably sound lazy, but I don't want to get taken advantage of.

inDetail
10-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Yeah. Taping out complicated graphics is not easy. It can easy add hours to a job. If a client does not want to pay max for the perfect mask out. I polish by hand around the graphics. I do all the polishing near the graphics first. Once I get it to where I'm happy I will polish one more time around the graphics but only about an inch wide. Leave the residue there like an outline so I have a visual reference of how close I can run the buffer to the graphics without making a mistake.

TdawgtheGreat
10-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Yeah. Taping out complicated graphics is not easy. It can easy add hours to a job. If a client does not want to pay max for the perfect mask out. I polish by hand around the graphics. I do all the polishing near the graphics first. Once I get it to where I'm happy I will polish one more time around the graphics but only about an inch wide. Leave the residue there like an outline so I have a visual reference of how close I can run the buffer to the graphics without making a mistake.

Hes talking about just using Ecosmart, hes not even polishing the trucks.

Busymind
10-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Yea even I made the mistake of saying"detail" when I meant car wash. My screen name isn't busy mind for nothing. Probably 10 percent of what I'm thinking actually gets typed up, and sometimes I leave out important details.

The van owner most likely will want a wash and "super shiny wheels". I do appreciate the in depth response, as I can use that technique in the future.