PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Pad cleaning

jerom717
01-26-2014, 06:14 PM
I just got my polishing pads and cleaner today.
before I used them I wanted to know exactly how to clean them as the bottle is a little confusing.

RMD
01-27-2014, 10:32 PM
I mix the CG pad cleaner about 3:1 (water to cleaner) in a spray bottle and wet each pad as soon as I'm done with it and rub it with pad brush. Then put an ounce or two in a bucket of hot water and throw the pads in. Let them soak for a half hour or so and squeeze the pads a couple times to make sure the water gets all through them. Then rinse with warm water while squeezing until no more soapy water is in pad.
To dry, fold a MF towel in half on a table or counter, set pad on one end of the towel, fold towel over pad and squish the pad flat for a few seconds. Towel pulls a lot of water out of the pad, it will be about 80 percent dry at that point.

TdawgtheGreat
01-28-2014, 12:59 AM
I add CG pad cleaner, about a capful for about 2 gallons of water. Let the pads soak for about 10 minutes, then I lightly scrub them with a spare toothbrush. Then to dry them I Just squeeze the water out, then put them on my DA and spin them dry in a bucket.

JohnsHandWash&Wax
02-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Going to have to pick up some next sale. I normally use hot water with a bit of Dawn. Oh, make sure to store them correctly. I spritz mine with a bit of Pad Conditioner and put them in zipper bags.

inDetail
04-05-2014, 05:32 AM
There is a reason for my OCD method.
I have a pre-soak bucket ( about 4 gallons of water and 1 cup of Purple Power) I eyeball it. During a session when a pad is spent it goes in the bucket it keeps the residue from drying and makes clean up easier.

When it's clean up time they all get squeezed out and soaked in clean water while I'm cleaning up the rest of my supplies.

When it's time to wash pads I wring them out. Spray them with CG pad cleaner let dwell for ten minutes work the cleaner into the pads rinse really well squeeze out excess water then let air dry in a dish rack.

The reason for the whole thing is to eliminate cross contamination of pads. This is just my process and my pads come out spotless and then I know all the residue is gone from the pads.

When dry back into the ziploc bags

KBsSS
04-05-2014, 09:10 AM
I likes OCD...;)

1BlackDropTop
04-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Hey guys, along the same lines, how many pads does it usually take to finish a polish job? I understand that it varies with the size of the project, and the severity of the correction, but just a general idea? Also, can you kinda unclog the pads during a project without going to fully clean them? TIA

Jake
04-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Hey guys, along the same lines, how many pads does it usually take to finish a polish job? I understand that it varies with the size of the project, and the severity of the correction, but just a general idea? Also, can you kinda unclog the pads during a project without going to fully clean them? TIA

Generally speaking I go through about 3 orange pads for paint correction during my polishing sessions, and I go through 2 white pads with my V38 finishing polish, and 1 black pad for glaze, 1 red pad for sealant or wax.

You can take our pad cleaning brush and turn on the machine and let all the build up loosen up and fall out by putting our brush against a spinning pad. But I can tell you nothing beats having a pad washer bucket, it cleans a pad in about 2 minutes and it leaves it SLIGHTLY damp so you can keep polishing with just 1 pad.

I hope this answers your question :)

1BlackDropTop
04-15-2014, 04:58 AM
Generally speaking I go through about 3 orange pads for paint correction during my polishing sessions, and I go through 2 white pads with my V38 finishing polish, and 1 black pad for glaze, 1 red pad for sealant or wax.

You can take our pad cleaning brush and turn on the machine and let all the build up loosen up and fall out by putting our brush against a spinning pad. But I can tell you nothing beats having a pad washer bucket, it cleans a pad in about 2 minutes and it leaves it SLIGHTLY damp so you can keep polishing with just 1 pad.

I hope this answers your question :)

Thanks Jake, this is exactly the info I was looking for!!! Y'all are the best

Golfrocker777
04-26-2014, 08:39 PM
I just used my grit guard pad washer for the first time. I don't know how I lived without it. Fast, easy and keeps the pad always fresh. With the V line of polishes I just use water then final clean with CG pad wash solution.

Jayincali
06-26-2014, 10:06 PM
So is it ok to polish with a damp pad?

shahsmerdis
06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Yes, Just make sure you spin off the extra water into a bucket.

Also remember guys, if you are cleaning your pads, clean it AWAY from your finished paint or into a bucket.

Jayincali
06-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Damn, and all this time I wait for the right moment to clean the pads so they have a day to dry completely...

Jake
06-28-2014, 04:08 PM
You can generally polish with a pad that is a little damp. The pads that are damp are actually better because it creates a better lubrication for your pads and polish. That's why I always spray the pad and polish down with pad conditioner when I polish.

sicktred08fsi
06-30-2014, 04:59 PM
The best way to actually prime your pad is to thinly spread product over the entire pad surface, then apply dots as usual. After the first use, your pad is primed. If your pad is too moist, it'll sling.

Gerard111066
07-10-2014, 08:14 AM
I agree with Jake - When I began detailing the Chemical Guys method, I purchased various DA pads, and when it was time to clean them, I tried Dawn dish soap, and working the product from the pad manually - it was a nightmare and the pads still were not clean, so I just bit the bullet and purchased the Pad Washer bucket system by Grit Guard from CG and lifes a lot easier :-) Now, I just spray 2-3 shots of pad cleaner onto each pad, let it sit for 5 minutes, then set my DA (PC 7424XP) to no more than setting speed #3 and let the weight of the machine sit on top of the grit guard dome insert, and let it spin out the spent product, depending on how dirty the pad is depends on how long you keep the pad running on the grit guard. After the cycle is done, my pads are super clean, like new and only a little moist which is normal, then I just turn them upside down (side of the pad that you use to apply product) and lay them on top of a microfiber towel to dry overnight. In the morning, they are dry and clean of all product - Do your self a favor and purchase a grit guard bucket system if you use a lot of DA pads, it will make your life a lot easier. After spending an hr or 2 polishing, waxing, the last thing you want to deal with, is having to clean dirty pads by hands.

Two3zz
07-10-2014, 08:32 AM
I agree with Jake - When I began detailing the Chemical Guys method, I purchased various DA pads, and when it was time to clean them, I tried Dawn dish soap, and working the product from the pad manually - it was a nightmare and the pads still were not clean, so I just bit the bullet and purchased the Pad Washer bucket system by Grit Guard from CG and lifes a lot easier :-) Now, I just spray 2-3 shots of pad cleaner onto each pad, let it sit for 5 minutes, then set my DA (PC 7424XP) to no more than setting speed #3 and let the weight of the machine sit on top of the grit guard dome insert, and let it spin out the spent product, depending on how dirty the pad is depends on how long you keep the pad running on the grit guard. After the cycle is done, my pads are super clean, like new and only a little moist which is normal, then I just turn them upside down (side of the pad that you use to apply product) and lay them on top of a microfiber towel to dry overnight. In the morning, they are dry and clean of all product - Do your self a favor and purchase a grit guard bucket system if you use a lot of DA pads, it will make your life a lot easier. After spending an hr or 2 polishing, waxing, the last thing you want to deal with, is having to clean dirty pads by hands.

^^ + 1 too that... brother! (Hulk Hogan moment) Reminds me of how wonderful it is to clean Paint Brushes and Rollers after a make over session. Yes, adding an hour of 'clean up' time on the end.

inDetail
07-10-2014, 11:03 PM
If your cleaning foam on the fly you can use a terry cotton towel. I just drape the towel over an upside down wash bucket. Put it on speed 6 let the weight of the machine hold it down let it spin for 30 seconds. I hit it with a toddler toothbrush then blow it out with compressed air.
MF pads, toddler tooth brush then compressed air.

Cal Blacksmith
08-19-2014, 10:08 AM
I just started with this whole polishing machine stuff. I bit the bullet right away and bought the pad cleaning bucket, WELL worth the money spent. Cleaning is very fast and easy, a real no sweat delight. I can't imagine cleaning by hand without the cleaner bucket.
The reason I stopped doing any painting around the house is cleaning the roller/brushes. If there was a machine to clean them as easy as the pad cleaner cleans pads, .... LOL!

inDetail
08-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Come on guys. It takes 30 seconds to clean a pad on the fly. I can wash one by hand and have it back on the DA in 5 if I get jammed up.

tenblade2001
08-19-2014, 08:00 PM
A couple of questions:
(1) do you clean applicator pads after they are used for anything i.e. seal or dressing?
(2) I'm getting ready to polish and I forgot to buy applicator/pad cleaner...any temporary fixes?

MattMan
08-20-2014, 08:25 AM
I wash my microfiber applicators in the washing machine with my wax removal towels.

Foam pads I'll clean by hand in the universal pad washer before I clean any other cutting/polishing pads, or give a spritz of pad cleaner, then wring em out in hot water.

tenblade2001
08-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Matt, what I'm ordering the pad cleaner, but I don't have any now. Is there anything else I can use that can be purchased locally?

shahsmerdis
08-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Probably best to give your location

MattMan
08-20-2014, 12:11 PM
I don't know of any other pad cleaner products. You can polish your whole car with 2-3 pads of each type, then clean them afterwards once you get the cleaner in hand.

Don't use too much product, and you should be fine. We always use 5 dots and a spritz of pad conditioner or water when polishing.

shahsmerdis
08-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Eh, Once the product is caked on its so hard remove from the pad... at the very least run it through some water or throw it in a bucket of water to get 80% of the stuff out.

tenblade2001
08-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Probably best to give your location
I'm in knoxville, tn.
I have a grit guard for car washing, could I use some concentrated Citrus car wash and scrub with grit guard? these are hand applicators.
thanks

MattMan
08-20-2014, 01:38 PM
don't use CW&G, you'll get suds forever and it won't work after that. just gotta wait for the proper cleaner to come in!

I know it sucks to wait, but patience now will save you LOTS of cleanup time and buffing delays later.

inDetail
08-20-2014, 05:07 PM
you can use a OTC apc like purple power or simple green diluted. I wash all mine by hand. CG pad cleaner and a baby tooth brush.
MF pads soak in CG MF wash scrubbed with a tooth brush rinse well. Always Dry velcro up. Make sure they are very dry before you store them. They will mold up on you fast. The reason to dry velcro up, gravity you want the water to drain away from the pad. If there is any amount of residue left in them it will be close to the surface. I hit them with some compressed air before they go on the machine.

shahsmerdis
08-20-2014, 05:15 PM
in additional to all the above

I usually put the pad back on the machine, and spin it off on my grit guard. to get the last bits out.

But remember anytime you deal with a pad washer you are dealing with live current and water!

edit he has had pads so yeah nvm.

inDetail
08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
+1 wash them by hand and let them dry out.