PDA

View Full Version : How To Remove Swirls, Scratches & Polish Paint with the Porter Cable 7424XP

Greg
01-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Learn how to remove swirls marks and scratches from paintwork using the porter-cable 7424XP and the Chemical Guys V-Line of Polishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5qtEUpVrSM

Oldmanrivers
01-16-2014, 05:38 PM
^ My detailing celebrity! You gotta sign the next thing I buy from CG!!!!

Tjbradney
01-16-2014, 10:38 PM
This video is what made me get into detailing and removing swirls and scratches. But i must say, I find that the porter cable heats the pads up extremely fast and just destroys them.

kamakanani0
01-17-2014, 12:13 AM
This video is what made me get into detailing and removing swirls and scratches. But i must say, I find that the porter cable heats the pads up extremely fast and just destroys them.

Omg! That's what I always notice it heats up a lot. I can't use 1 hex logic pad on the entire car u have to use several orange pads to let it cool off. First time I tried to detail my car lol the orange pad came apart after buffing the entire car. I really want the Rupes bigfoot

RMD
01-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Buffing an average car should take 4-6 pads per step. Not only for heat buildup, but to be effective the pad needs to be clean. Not possible to clean a pad on the fly well enough to do a whole car in one session.

Tjbradney
01-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Ill argue that, i have done my whole car with just three pads one for cutting one for the middle step and then a final polish, all hex-logic. But @kam i have to agree i wouldnt mind trying the rupes but i actually bought a 3m rotary buffer which is what i was trained with at college for Collision repair. So i can stick to using the Porter cable for the finer buffing and keep the cutting to the rotary. Now yes a rotary is alot easy to mess the paint up with but taking your time and being patient youll be fine.

Golfrocker777
02-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Greg, I have studied all of your videos. I moved to V32 and the yellow pad with a PC type machine on my Tahoe. It took forever! I am thinking of moving to a flex 3401 or a rupes 21. Which do you recommend for a more efficient scratch and swirl removal. Web reviews are mixed but lean in the direction of a 3401.

Golfrocker777
02-19-2014, 05:22 PM
I had to clean the hex logic pads multiple times when using them to correct my Tahoe with the V line of polishes. Especially the V32 because it will dust. Not so much when applying sealant. Sorry if the previous should be a new thread.

JohnsHandWash&Wax
02-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Golf.....A few things to remember when polishing:

1. If your pad clogs up with compound/polish, it will no longer do its job. Therefore, it will take a lot longer.

2. You do not need to re-apply as much as you think when moving to a different section. A few dots instead of the 5 that you would start with.

3. What speed are you working at? I have Griots machine (pretty much clone to PC) and work at 5 - 6.

4. It is important to clean your pad throughout the machining process. See this brush:
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_BUF_900_Foam_Pad_Conditioning_Brush_ p/buf_900.htm
- Bring PC to open area
- Turn PC on at about medium speed
- Place brush on pad in center and move away to outer edge, no real heavy pressure is needed.
- As you move away from center, you will see excess compound/polish fly off the pad. I usually do this twice in a row after a few large sections.

Golfrocker777
02-21-2014, 06:44 PM
I worked at speed 6 with V32 and a yellow pad then worked my way down (V34,36). Cleaned the pad as the middle looked glazed. I will try the brush next time. I have recently learned that GM clear coat on the Tahoe is super hard. I am using the meguires machine.

JohnsHandWash&Wax
02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Yeah, GM clear is hard. I just did a Saab 9-7X that is Black (Basically Trailblazer). Its good to keep multiple pads as well. I use at least 2 pads per vehicle. Try the brush, it definitely helps to clear up residual compound/polish. That`s the problem you had with the middle of your pad.