PDA

View Full Version : Rupes Bigfoot 21mm throw machine polisher

Fernie
10-12-2014, 11:09 PM
I have never used a machine polisher before, and I want to start using one, so I am looking at different options. I don't want to buy the Porter Cable 7424xp because I feel like it's too much of a beginners machine polisher and I don't want to have to buy another better high end polisher once i get good at machine polishing. But I saw the video on the chemical guys website and it said you could go to LA and learn how to use this specific machine polisher. Is the rules bigfoot machine polisher really hard to use? If so why? What recommendations do you guys have?
I don't want the pc7424xp but I am open to suggestions and opinions

Thanks!

inDetail
10-13-2014, 07:29 AM
It's different. If you never machine polished before a Rupes is big difference over a PC. The large throw it has is something you have to think about when getting into tighter areas. At this point you are also limited on pads. LC makes HD pads and because of the long throw the Rupes can shorten the life span of regular pads.
If you don't want to get a PC and you have money to drop on a Rupes get a FLEX instead. The Flex has forced rotation and still is extrememly safe you can also set the speed on the dial and it has a throttle trigger so you can increase and decrease speed within the chosen speed on the dial.
For the money the Flex is the best machine out there for the money and by the end of Nov. the prices should be coming down after the introduce there new machine at SEMA.
Keep in mind you can do anything with a PC it just takes longer because of the lack of power
The only think you will need to purchase is Flex backing plates

Cal Blacksmith
10-15-2014, 01:04 PM
I started with the PC and quickly out grew it but i will still keep it for tighter spaces. I bought the Rupes 21 and i love the heck out of it. I truly went back and forth. Between the flex and the Rupes, i used both in the LA class and the 21 was a better fit for me. The class is well worth the cost. It teaches you what to look for, how the marks got there, about paint, about maintaining the machines and pads and hands on with them both DA and Rotary, im sure the forced rotation Flex can be used too.

inDetail
01-29-2015, 05:03 PM
The one flaw rupes polishers have is.its just a amped up da. Large throw or not it will stop spinning on a severe contoured surface and will loose power on a vert. It's a PC that works faster. A flex spins forced but also orbits like.the rupes. You won't stop that beast. No pad type or size limitations on it. You can only use Rupes or LC hd pads on it and there is not much of a selection. Standard foam grades and the okay not great rupes MF.

TdawgtheGreat
01-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Thats why you do the washer mod that makes the Rupes forced rotation. Its easy to do, or if you buy it from Buffdaddy he will install it for you.

inDetail
03-30-2015, 06:26 PM
adding the washer mod to the rupes does not make it forced rotation. It adds space between the bp and the housing so it spins free.
You can still stall it out with the washer mod. For that price tag a machine should not stall when I throw a little pressure on the head to make over a contour or hold steady on vert.

tenblade2001
03-30-2015, 06:45 PM
I have never used a machine polisher before, and I want to start using one, so I am looking at different options. I don't want to buy the Porter Cable 7424xp because I feel like it's too much of a beginners machine polisher and I don't want to have to buy another better high end polisher once i get good at machine polishing. But I saw the video on the chemical guys website and it said you could go to LA and learn how to use this specific machine polisher. Is the rules bigfoot machine polisher really hard to use? If so why? What recommendations do you guys have?
I don't want the pc7424xp but I am open to suggestions and opinions

Thanks!

Unless you're a professional, a 7424 should meet all your needs. With that said, the Griots Garage 6 gets a lot of positive reviews and has more power than the 7424.

inDetail
04-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Yeah GG 6 all the way