PDA

View Full Version : Pad failure first use by novice

chromer
09-17-2014, 03:14 AM
Had a go at my Honda Civic today with V34 and an orange pad.

I have practically zero experience in machine polishing and my technique is obviously causing issues.

DAS Pro DA polisher with 5" backing plate and a 5.25" hex logic pad.

Very early after a few passes the centre of the pad compressed inwards.

It then looked a little worse for wear after a clean on the grit guard pad washer.

Next issue was the backing plate appearing to start cutting its way into the pad.

Not sure if the plate and pad are the right size for each other.

Was also getting a lot of powder which I wasn't really expecting off the V polish.

The pad is now pretty much unusable. Basically the same outcome with the menzerna pads that came with the machine on my very first attempt at machine polishing.

Any feedback on tips and technique will be much appreciated.

chromer
09-17-2014, 03:20 AM
Another couple of pics.

Backing plate and pad.

shahsmerdis
09-17-2014, 07:09 AM
how much pressure are you putting? were you trying to do any crazy curvy paint?

MattMan
09-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Definitely sounds like you're pressing too hard. at least you stopped and checked your technique before you completely shredded the pad, or melted the backing plate!

lighten up on the pressure.. you only need enough to where you just hear the pitch of the machine drop once you press down. you can also see the backing plate spin a little slower with the marker marks. it's all by feel, and there's no way to teach it properly without getting hands on.. you just have to practice! check out our youtube videos, mimic them to the T, and once you stop blowing out pads/backing plates while getting good polish results, you're on the right track.

chromer
09-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the swift replies there guys.

tenblade2001
09-17-2014, 03:30 PM
search youtube for junkman2000. He's got some great videos on how to use a DA...very novice friendly.

MattMan
09-17-2014, 04:16 PM
search youtube for junkman2000. He's got some great videos on how to use a DA...very novice friendly.

OR any of the helpful and insightful polishing videos brought to you by Chemical Guys.... :mad:

tenblade2001
09-18-2014, 05:33 AM
OR any of the helpful and insightful polishing videos brought to you by Chemical Guys.... :mad:
of course, but I was assuming the OP had watched the CG video and was still confused.

shahsmerdis
09-18-2014, 07:23 AM

<3 Don't worry Matt we always appreciate every video you guys post. It goes without saying :)