PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Disappointed with V34--INPUT WANTED

m54daboll
09-01-2014, 12:34 PM
So I'm doing a 2 step paint correction on my 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee in stone white (non-metallic). It is the first time the car is being polished. It has moderate to heavy swirls, but nothing crazy. I tried using V34 with an orange Hex Logic Pad on my PC 7424 XP and a Black Ops Microfiber cutting pad. I have done paint correction before so I know about how much pressure to use etc. Both pads were fully primed and I did 3 passes with the V34 and I was not happy with the results at all. It did get some of the swirls out, but there were still many deeper, heavier swirls that did not come out. Is this just because the clear coat is rock hard? Or am I doing something wrong. I see that V34 has great reviews and is supposedly a great product, however I am not getting these results. Should I move up to V32 or what? Just a little angry with how little the CG COMPOUND cut on the paint. Any input is appreciated.

TdawgtheGreat
09-01-2014, 12:43 PM
It sounds like your clear is hard, and your PC might not have the power to quickly get those deeper ones out. Thats the problem with a DA polisher, it just takes a lot more time to get the results you want. I spent 40 hours correcting a black Mustang with my PC, then switched to the Flex rotary and did the same correction job in less than 15 hours.

inDetail
09-01-2014, 02:17 PM
You can cut any paint with a PC it just takes a lot longer and I mean any paint. V series polishes are diminishing abrasives so once they breakdown they cannot cut anymore they are done. You either need a more aggressive compound or it may just be the RIDS are too deep and need to be wet sanded.
As far as another compound and pad combo you can try but some may not just come out.

Wed Turner
09-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Three passes seems like too few to me. I usually do between 4-6 depending on what I'm doing. Are you sure you are getting rotation out of your PC like you should and not using too much pressure?

shahsmerdis
09-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Similar issue here, I will be posting pictures, tomorrow. Mind you everything other than these slightly deeper scratches V34 did a fantastic job.

MattMan
09-02-2014, 08:31 AM
You can try a test spot with V32 and see what results you get. but remember: detailing is about restoring your car as much as you can given its current condition. if compounding doesn't remove exceptionally deep swirls and scratches, then that's as good as that paint can get. if you want a perfect paint job again, you're just going to have to respray the car.

m54daboll
09-02-2014, 11:22 AM
You can try a test spot with V32 and see what results you get. but remember: detailing is about restoring your car as much as you can given its current condition. if compounding doesn't remove exceptionally deep swirls and scratches, then that's as good as that paint can get. if you want a perfect paint job again, you're just going to have to respray the car.

It had medium swirls and RIDS. Nothing crazy, I've seen much worse paint. I guess my clearcoat is just very hard. But I was still pretty unhappy for the results. Is there anyway I can return it and get V32? I just was not happy with the cut especially with a microfiber pad.

MattMan
09-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Personally, I'd keep the V34 and pick up the heavier cut V32 now that I have a need for it. V34 may be the perfect potion for another job in the future, and you'll be glad you have it when the time comes.

You can also try using a rotary to get more cut. I'd start with V36, then try V34 if you need it.

Otherwise, give customer service a call about making any returns/exchanges.

birddogmatt
09-28-2014, 08:50 PM
I feel your pain, I tried V34 on a BMW 535i with less than desirable results. I'm considering a test-spot using V32 or possibly wet-sanding a few areas. The paint seems to be crazy hard paint.

Jeff_L
09-29-2014, 03:31 AM
If you drop to v32, wouldn't you still want the v34 to use after the v32 as you work yourself back up the v line?

m54daboll
09-29-2014, 11:27 AM
No Jeff, I have completely switched from Chemical Guys polishes. I've switched to either Shine Supply or HD. Hd Cut, Adapt, and Polish gave me incredible results plus their customer service is much better than CG's. Personally, I'd stay away from CG polishes and when I tried to return it the customer service was terrible so I just ended up selling it. Pretty much completely off CG products.

inDetail
01-29-2015, 05:06 PM
HD cut and adapt are no joke. You want three pass on hard clear with near LSP ready M101 is a beast on a da.

GlossWurkz
01-30-2015, 01:42 PM
I feel your pain, I tried V34 on a BMW 535i with less than desirable results. I'm considering a test-spot using V32 or possibly wet-sanding a few areas. The paint seems to be crazy hard paint.

Beemer paint is very hard, especially Jet Black. It's like polishing concrete. On BMW's if the paint is bad I start with V32 and a Purple Foamed Wool pad, then V34 on an orange pad. BlackLight seems to do wonders for the paint as well. ;)