PDA

View Full Version : V38 vs Megs 205 Cut

glh17
08-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Is V38 similar enough to Megs M205 in terms of cut/polish that it can substitute for M205?

I need something to follow Megs M105 on a late 90s Jeep I'm working on for a friend. I've got the V38 but not the M205. I also have a full bottle of M105. Don't really want to buy V32/V34 (to replace M105) or M205 (to replace the V38) for this project unless it's going to make a significant difference.

Thanks for your opinion.

inDetail
08-31-2014, 03:03 PM
They are two different technologies. M105/205 are SMAT. Super Micro Abrasive Technology. The abrasives are very fine but they do not breakdown. They continue to cut until you stop polishing. You can also control to some degree the amount of cut and how it finishes by using different pads. MF pad will cut faster then a foam.
V polises are DAT diminishing abrasive technology. The abrasives break down finer and finer until the polish flashes out and the abrasives can no longer breakdown. Then you move to the next finer polish to remove haze, lighter correction and improving gloss.
M105 work time is short, it dusts like crazy, can get gummy and stick to paint, but it is fast. It's finicky With two polishes you can handle most paint systems without a problem. If you want to stay with Meg's and have a minimum of product on hand you can try M101 it cuts faster and finishes better then 105 without all the finicky problems of 105. It's on par with FG400 but some say it finishes down better but keep in mind how a polish finishes down also depends on the paint system and pads. It's also pricey $50 for 32 ounces. PM me and I can tell you how to get smaller bottles of it.
With that said V36 is one of my favorite polishes and V38 can be a great final polish on the right paint systems.

lilsullivan04
08-31-2014, 07:42 PM
How is the Menzerna polishes compared to chemical guys polishes? Right now I have Meguiars M105 & M205.

2shiny
08-31-2014, 09:31 PM
mnzerna is also DAT, like de V range. Menz is pretty old skool, I don't like working with them.
M105 and m205 are pretty much hype. way better polishes out there nowadays.
V38 has little cut, but jewels the paint like crazy. beats 205 everytime IMO

glh17
09-01-2014, 07:35 AM
I think we'll go with M105 since I already have some and follow with V38 and M21. I'm sure this will be a great improvement over what he has now.

I'm going to add either V34 and/or V36 to my arsenal down the road for my car and truck. My car is a fairly new 2014 with no problems. My truck is a well-maintained 2006 that needs minimum paint correction, but I like to keep a med-light cutting compound around for light scratches and scuffs.

inDetail
09-01-2014, 09:36 AM
V36 is a nice polish to have it's a great one step for softer paint systems finishes down great with an orange pad.
I really like Menzerna products they are tried and true. Eventhough they are DAT somehow they always seem to get it right.
Another two really good cut polishes are Wolfgang Uber 3.0 and 3D HD Adapt. Uber is a hybrid DAT/SMAT made by Menzerna to Wolfgangs spec's it is very similar to Menz FG400 it is also very expensive.
HD Adapt is really new tech AAT polish. It cuts like a hybrid DAT/SMAT finishes down great. It uses abrasives and chemical cleaners. The chems help clean the paint making the abrasives job easier. It is spec'd to use on a variety of hard surfaces and is actually cheap considering what it can do. The chems also help break down the oils making wiping easy some say you can even skip a wipe down. All three polishes do a great job and are step above 105 and on par with M101.

glh17
09-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Thanks, I'm going to work through the stuff I have now but I'm going to get some V36 before I do my truck again. Just polished/sealed it a couple of weeks ago. Used Menzerna Intensive and sealed with Megs 21.