PDA

View Full Version : Order in with to use polishes

AMGCLS68
08-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi all,

So I've got the wonderful task of detailing my dads black 1999 G500. We imported it from Germany last year. AWESOME price! ($26,000) I want to do a quick polish job on it. Here are the products that I have. I'm curious on which order I should be doing them in.

Here is what I've got

Porter Cable 7424XP
orange, white and red hexlogic pads. One foam pad.
V36
P40-Polish
Wet mirror-finish
Jet seal 109
Black

I know that the last few steps should be Jet Seal 109 then Black but what about the polishes?

Thanks for your help!

inDetail
08-30-2014, 07:24 AM
I may be mistaken here but you only have 1 pad of each color? That is not going to be enough to do a whole car so you will need to wash and dry pads really well when they are spent and loose cut.
Usually for a standard two step correction on an average car you will need 2 orange and 3 white. Depending on the condition of the paint you might be able to finish down with V36 and a white pad. You can go over it with the P40 with no pressure other then the weight of the PC to add some more gloss. P40 is a final polish with very little cut and does not leave polish residue behaind so no need for IPA wipedown.
By Black I guess you mean black light. You can go. Black Light>Jetseal. Or Wet Mirror>Jetseal. I think BL>Wet Mirror>Jetseal is over kill.
I would not use a sealant on a pad with a DA. You will not be able to remove the residue. Once it dries the pad is spent. The most I would use it for is a wax. Pads are expensive and seriously sealants are almost impossible to remove. Sometimes waxes can be difficult. Once a sealant dries in the pad it can make the foam coarse and you can mar the paint using it again.

AMGCLS68
08-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the advise. Excuse my ignorance though, what do you mean by "IPA widepown"?

rogergoochman
08-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Also not sure what that means ��

shahsmerdis
08-30-2014, 10:09 PM
IPA wipe down is rubbing alcohol. usually people use diluted ipa to remove any access polish off their paint so your wax can bond to the paint and not the oils in the polish

inDetail
08-31-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes Shah is correct. You also use it to inspect your work. Polish residue and oils can fill in defects you thought you removed. Do not use anymore then 12% by volume mixed with distilled water. Unless a certain product directs you to use it stronger. IPA is a solvent and at OTC strengths it will actually soften your paint.

AMGCLS68
09-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Awesome. Thanks guys for all the help. Looks like the first thing I need tons is buy more hex logic pads. Then I can start on my dad's truck.

inDetail
09-01-2014, 09:41 AM
depending on the paint defects you can get away with two orange and 3 white. Testing the cut of the pad and polish you are using will give you a good idea of what you are working with. Make sure you test spot. Start with the least aggressive polish and pad and work your way up. It's an older car so you don't know how much paint is actually left on the car. If it is going to take you longer to get results with a lighter pad/polish combo it's worth it since your removing less paint.