PDA

View Full Version : Removing Decal shadowing & Decal residue from paintwork

jetwashautospa
01-22-2014, 11:43 AM
I have a customer that has a Red Chevrolet Avalanche that had decals on the paintwork for many years that advertised for his business. He recently folded the business and removed the Decals from his truck. Some of the decals removed left no residue at all but did leave a shadow of the decal that was there, the other decals he removed left a residue.

My question is, if I polish the area that left the shadows of the decals will the shadow still be present after polishing also what is the best and fastest way to remove the residue left by the decals??

Thanks

JohnsHandWash&Wax
01-22-2014, 01:18 PM
There is a shadow due to oxidation as well as contaminants on the paint. You will first want to get rid of any residue from the decals. I use Goo Gone diluted with water in a spray bottle with a microfiber towel. After that, you will want to wash the truck well, then clay bar. Then, you will polish. After polishing, there should be no shadow.

jetwashautospa
01-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Thank you John!!! That's what I thought just wanted to make sure.

inDetail
04-05-2014, 05:23 AM
+1 on Goo Gone. I agree with John's process

inDetail
07-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Yep Goo Gone. I just did a Tundra. Deinstalled Graphics. I would mark off where the ghosting is from the graphics. You can use a crayon. Just mark off so you can focus on the ghosting. Then polish out the entire truck. If you don't mark it off you will go nuts trying to find where you left off. Some of the ghosting will correct faster then other areas. It all depends on how long certain spots were hit by the sun. On the truck I could tell how the guy parked his truck because the one side was ghosted worse then the other from seeing more sun.
I did a little different. De-install, wash, clay, goo gone followed by GD IUDJ wipe down. Then IPA wipe down then started correcting paint.