PDA

View Full Version : Relative paint hardness

GlossWurkz
07-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Does anyone have a table or chart of relative paint hardness by vehicle manufacturer? I've figured most out just by working on them, but a quick reference would be great.

MattMan
07-07-2014, 08:29 AM
There is no such chart, hard rule, or even general rule to follow. paint hardness varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, year to year, model to model, and even between and DURING production runs! They run out of paint then quickly buy another manufacturer's paints to finish a run. There's also a big difference between factory paint and aftermarket/bodyshop resprays.

You can generalize by era from lacquer paints, single stage paints, then clearcoat paints.
Lacquers are pretty hard but malleable, single stages are softer, and clearcoats are a little harder. the newest ceramic clearcoats are very thin but very hard...

You have to do a test spot on whatever particular car you're working on and go from there. Start with your least aggressive pad/polish combination, then increase as needed. You can always polish harder, but you can't un-polish, or un-cut paint from your car!

inDetail
07-12-2014, 11:29 AM
MattMan is correct. There is no hard set rules. You only have general guidelines based on what other detailers have come across in detailing different paint systems.

GlossWurkz
07-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've always done a test spot, or two if a respray is suspected. Thanks for the input guys!

inDetail
07-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Before I even book a job during inspection I ask if the car was purchased used or new. If they are aware of any body work or repaint.