PDA

View Full Version : Should I Polish my Brand New Car?

Jawsebi
06-12-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm curious to know if I need to polish a brand new car or if I can just apply wax straight to a washed surface. Whill polishing apply additional depth? Or is it a waste of time?

shahsmerdis
06-13-2014, 06:40 AM
Hi There,

Greg has a great video on how to take care of a new car. Instead of applying a polish, try a Glaze, you aren't looking for paint correction, just to make it pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKMHiZ8lOQ

I'd definitely go all out and wash everything, Clay bar it (Lightest clay bar) , wheel wax.

Glaze if you wish, dry time --> Strongest sealant you have, 2x coats of that or top it off with your favorite wax.

The video is just an example of how to wash it. feel free to mix and match with your favorite equivalent product.

Two3zz
06-13-2014, 08:02 AM
Hi There,

Greg has a great video on how to take care of a new car. Instead of applying a polish, try a Glaze, you aren't looking for paint correction, just to make it pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKMHiZ8lOQ

I'd definitely go all out and wash everything, Clay bar it (Lightest clay bar) , wheel wax.

Glaze if you wish, dry time --> Strongest sealant you have, 2x coats of that or top it off with your favorite wax.

The video is just an example of how to wash it. feel free to mix and match with your favorite equivalent product.

^^ Yes Sir! Well said. Wash, Clay, Top.

Jake
06-13-2014, 08:16 AM
^^ they've nailed it on the head. First inspect the car and see what sort of surface you are going to be working with. Usually new cars I've had good luck just washing, claying, and sealing the surfaces. But there are times where I have to use a very light polish such as the V38 :)

shahsmerdis
06-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Oh and, dont let the dealer wash the car before you get it. I know it might not be as shiny for your first ride home, but at least you will do it right

XenaBimmer
06-13-2014, 12:26 PM
I've seen new car deliveries with swirling/scratching all over, so you really need to inspect the paint to see if a compound/polish is needed after claying and before glazing (if you wish) or going straight to a sealer

Jclorden
06-13-2014, 01:06 PM
I thought that clay often left some marring and a light Polish was usually necessary after the clay. It sounds like you guys are saying that isn't the case especially if it's a light clay bar.

(FYI I am a noobie only clayed my car once and it already needed a little polishing so not speaking from experience)

inDetail
06-14-2014, 06:30 AM
Clay can induce marring but fine grade and liberal use of clay lube and you should be good. Practice good technique. As far as polishing a new car I would use a paint cleanser it's a light polish cleaner. For a brand new car I would use P21s paint cleaner. It's very gentle just enough polish to remove clear coat dirt and leave a nice LSP ready surface.
When the car gets a little older you can use a stronger one I use CG P40 for cars that are lightly swirled and on softer clear coats it works great.