PDA

View Full Version : Gas Powered Leaf Blower - Car Drying

Jclorden
06-09-2014, 04:22 AM
I have a pretty good gas powered leaf blower. On a pretty popular youtube video that I recently watched, the presenter said he didn't recommend using the gas powered blowers because of the contamination that they put on the car. While I respect the presenter and follow most of his tips this one seemed a bit extreme. Perhaps I am wrong, after all I am new at this - so wanted to get others opinions.

XenaBimmer
06-09-2014, 06:45 AM
I've heard that before as well, makes sense, but not sure how much truth there is to it. I have the Jetspeed VX6 blower from Chemical Guys and love it for drying off the car.

Two3zz
06-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Meh, I'm sure people do it. I wouldn't recommend it. One of the many reasons I sent the Gardner on his way some time ago is he blew 2 stroke exhaust (oil film) on the Torino sitting the driveway then yet again at a different time on the Mercedes. No harm really, just lame I had to go behind and clean it up. I do my own yard work now. Grab up a quicky corded electric one and use it carefully, or I too have the JetSpeed and it works wonderfully!

Wed Turner
06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't risk it. Especially after spending hours and hours of doing a full detail with paint correction.

inDetail
06-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Don't use a gas powered leaf blower. Use electric only. Gas engine pulls air in to mix with fuel and cause combustion. It also expels exhaust that gets sucked in and blows that exhaust all over your paint.
Use electric you can pick up one that will do the job right for $25 or $30 bucks

Jayincali
06-25-2014, 10:59 AM
I concur, electric all the way. I picked one up at Home Depot for about $25 bucks, I believe it's made by Homelite, 2 speed. I use it to dry the truck as well as yard work. Dries the truck to about 95%, then I go back with a waffle weave and H7 to clean up what was left behind, usually small, fine sprinkle type of spots.

erobertson
06-26-2014, 05:38 AM
Gas blowers typically have more power and are capable of driving dirt from the ground up onto the vehicle. Not a good thing to mini-sand blast your car after all the TLC to clean and polish. I've got a cheap electric blower from Lowes and it is small and easy to handle.

tenblade2001
08-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Sears has an electric blower for 25 bucks. I bought one and used it this weekend. It worked great.

StreetShotz
08-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Its true.
If you use a gas blower on a car you will be pumping small parts of carbon all over the exterior of the car as you use it. If its a two stroke you will also be putting oil onto the paint.

KBsSS
08-12-2014, 02:49 AM
I have a cordless 18 volt Black & Decker with a spare battery. I have no problem with it and when I am done I do the garage floor and surrounding areas as a cleanup.
I use the extra battery as a backup.

glh17
08-28-2014, 10:09 AM
I know this is a bit old. I have a gas blower but recently bought an electric black and decker blower just for vehicles. I believe its 245 mph and does a pretty good job. Problem is that at my age and strength it get heavy, especially after I washed the car and am pretty exhausted to begin with. If I were buying today, I'm pretty sure I go with the CG's 2.5 lb blower.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_ACC_303_JetSpeed_VX6_p/acc_303.htm

inDetail
08-31-2014, 03:14 PM
are you sheeting the car when you rinse after your wash?
It should take you all of 3 minutes to dry a average size car with a leaf blower when your rinse the paint with a hose without a nozzle on it.