PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Pads

lilsullivan04
05-31-2014, 03:08 PM
So I cleaned my orange cutting pad and thought I did a good job cleaning it and I gave it a good time to dry and I put it in a bag and I go to look at it a couple days later and it has mold spots on it. What can I do to get it out or should I buy another pad?
I've already tried cleaning it again with pad cleaner and nothing.

inDetail
05-31-2014, 05:02 PM
It probably was not totally dry. The denser the foam the longer they take to dry. Orange pads take forever. Sometimes a couple of days. If you want to take a shot try soaking it in a mild solution of bleach and water. You can kill the mold but may not be able remove the stains.
When you wash dry your pads in a rack velcro up. This will ensure all the moisture drains away from the velcro backing.

lilsullivan04
05-31-2014, 05:30 PM
It probably was not totally dry. The denser the foam the longer they take to dry. Orange pads take forever. Sometimes a couple of days. If you want to take a shot try soaking it in a mild solution of bleach and water. You can kill the mold but may not be able remove the stains.
When you wash dry your pads in a rack velcro up. This will ensure all the moisture drains away from the velcro backing.

Awesome thanks for the advice! So if I get the mold out and the stains are still there is it ok to still use the pad? Also how long do I have to let the pad soak in the mild solution of bleach and water?

Wed Turner
06-01-2014, 11:17 AM

This is great advice. I never thought about that and have been drying pads velcro down to make sure nothing comes in contact with the pad itself.

inDetail
06-02-2014, 06:34 PM
I would use a mild solution. Maybe 1 part bleach to 20.parts distilled water.
Can't hurt to test the pad and see if it holds. Rinse really well until you cant smell the bleach anymore. Then dry velcro up.
As far as drying I use a dish rack. I put the dense foams on bottom and work my way.up to the lightest foams. set.the rack on some towels. As the pads dry. I take them out blow any dust off with compfessed air and in the ziploc they go. After washing hand squeeze as much water out as you can befkre you rack them.

lilsullivan04
06-02-2014, 07:56 PM
I would use a mild solution. Maybe 1 part bleach to 20.parts distilled water.
Can't hurt to test the pad and see if it holds. Rinse really well until you cant smell the bleach anymore. Then dry velcro up.
As far as drying I use a dish rack. I put the dense foams on bottom and work my way.up to the lightest foams. set.the rack on some towels. As the pads dry. I take them out blow any dust off with compfessed air and in the ziploc they go. After washing hand squeeze as much water out as you can befkre you rack them.

I already did the mild bleach solution and it worked and actually got the stains out. Wish I did a before and after pictures! Thank you so much for the advice! This forum is awesome!

inDetail
06-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Glad it worked. Inspect the pad to see if any of the lam for the velcro failed. If it looks good it should be fine. Make it your first pad to use and work slow inspect it after each pass to see if it's holding up to heat and spent polish