PDA

View Full Version : Claybar scratches

In2dknight
01-21-2014, 03:01 PM
2010 Audi A4 black

Hello recently on my 2nd trip to CG Los Angeles I asked a guy in the showroom about what claybar I should on my car. He then asked me a few questions then he said he recommended the light duty clay bar and said "its the yellow claybar right behind you" so I grabbed the yellow one behind me since i was standing in front of the register. I didnt even read the label and paid for it. So then this past weekend I finally got around to claying the car and started with the hood. I used the bar as direct and the CG lube very generously and after finishing the hood it was smooth as glass but with a bunch of scratches on my black paint. I was like 😱 and called CG and they asked me about my car and what claybar i used. I said lightduty and the girl asked me what color is the bar i said yellow and shes said thats NOT the light duty thats the original claybar and its too aggressive for your car. So now my hood is all scratched from claying since I trusted the guy when he said "get the yellow right behind you".
So now I need to spend more money to get the heavy scratches off from using the wrong claybar.

Oldmanrivers
01-21-2014, 05:26 PM
I wouldn't think those scratches are too extreme, I have used ALL of their clays with fantastic results and my paint is extremely soft. The how often did you clay it before? What was your level stuck on yucky ness you pulled off? Did you go up and down or side to side? Or did you go in circles? Also because of how you just Claude it and they showed up the stuck on grime and other crap could of been almost filling those marks in too. If this is the first time you did this before then you should expect to be doing some paint correction. Also maybe before you didn't notice those in your paint until you really has a clean surface. Could it be marring? There is a lot of questions that need to be answered on both ends.... But don't look at it as a bad thing, look at it as a reason to detail your car and truly make it your piece of art.

In2dknight
01-21-2014, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't think those scratches are too extreme, I have used ALL of their clays with fantastic results and my paint is extremely soft. The how often did you clay it before? What was your level stuck on yucky ness you pulled off? Did you go up and down or side to side? Or did you go in circles? Also because of how you just Claude it and they showed up the stuck on grime and other crap could of been almost filling those marks in too. If this is the first time you did this before then you should expect to be doing some paint correction. Also maybe before you didn't notice those in your paint until you really has a clean surface. Could it be marring? There is a lot of questions that need to be answered on both ends.... But don't look at it as a bad thing, look at it as a reason to detail your car and truly make it your piece of art.

I previous had the car clayed and polished on Nov 2013. It is my first attempt on doing it myself but the car is well maintain with weekly washes and other polishing as needed. I know I already had light swirls an scratches. I didn't do any circular motion while using the clay I just went up and down as I had learned from Greg@CG youtube videos. I see it as a bad thing because I have to spend more money now to either pay someone to remove them or buy a DA and compounds to remove the scratches myself which I've never done myself.
I had to use a meguiars ultimate quick wax to cover up the embarrassment for now.
The pic I attached is back from Nov 2013 a couple weeks after the last clay and polish.

Brian
01-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Did you drop the clay bar?

JohnsHandWash&Wax
01-21-2014, 06:42 PM
1. ^^^^

2. Clay bar removes all contaminants and waxes/sealants from paint, which can honestly makes imperfections stand out more.

3. A clay bar is not prone to scratching unless improperly lubricated or mixed(rolled into ball and reshaped).

4. Black paint is soft. Regular washes can scratch the car.

In2dknight
01-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Did you drop the clay bar?

no I didn't drop the clay. I only did the hood on my black A4 and since I noticed all the scratching. Even the rep at CG said that the CG "yellow original clay bar" is to aggressive for my car and I should have used the "light duty blue" CG claybar which I would have if I was not sold the incorrect bar to begin with. And like I had mentioned before the car had only light scratches and swirls since the car was last polished on Nov 2013.

HouinKyoma
01-21-2014, 08:56 PM
a newly bought claybar (heavy or medium) would most probably remove the clear coat at most if used too vigorously, the scratches might not have been because it was heavy instead of light.

In2dknight
01-21-2014, 10:42 PM
a newly bought claybar (heavy or medium) would most probably remove the clear coat at most if used too vigorously, the scratches might not have been because it was heavy instead of light.

well the clay bar I use is consider a medium grade but it was too aggressive on my black paint. I used a lot of cg lube and didn't apply much pressure just glided the bar over the hood.

JohnsHandWash&Wax
01-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Hmmm....weird. Hope you at least get it fixed man. Thats the only bad thing about black paint, its soft.

In2dknight
01-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Well from what I know Audi paint is considered hard but the car has had several polishes throughout the years so I dont know if there is still room for another paint correction without measuring the paint.

Oldmanrivers
01-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Can you post a pic of the after with the yellow clay?

In2dknight
01-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Yes i will take one tomorrow and post

HouinKyoma
01-23-2014, 04:15 PM
well the clay bar I use is consider a medium grade but it was too aggressive on my black paint. I used a lot of cg lube and didn't apply much pressure just glided the bar over the hood.

I'm not so sure about this one but maybe your paint is already clean of contaminants, fallouts, overspray etc etc prior to the clay bar?

In2dknight
01-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Can you post a pic of the after with the yellow clay?

Heres a pic. Its hard to see here because of the meguiars quik wax is doing a great jon covering it up. But notice on the hood body line how its scratched the same direction. Im not talking about the swirls you but that body line. I should have taken a pic right after but that was the last thing on my mind at the time. I was more worried about how to fix it or cover it up temporarily.

In2dknight
01-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Heres a better pic under gas station led lights

TdawgtheGreat
01-24-2014, 03:26 PM
If it was clayed 2 months ago why were you claying it again? I thought you were only suppose to clay your car 1-2 times a year or more if needed.

In2dknight
01-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Because the paint on the front side was feeling ruff when I dried it there must have been some type of road fallout on it. I got the hood smooth again but with bunch of scratches, but I only did the hood.

Greg
01-24-2014, 09:45 PM
From my eyes, it looks like the scratches were caused my something else and not the claybar.

Claybar usually only creates "Marring" on soft paints. Audi paint is very hard, and does not scratch with claybar.

Reflections
01-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Clay bar WON'T cause scratches, it just removes contaminates and smooths out the paint, I've used aggressive clay bars on soft paints, hard paints and didn't cause any scratches, Something must of gotten in the bar or you already had the scratches and never really noticed them till you started detailing.

In2dknight
01-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Im thinking they must have been there and were being covered up by something and the claybar revealed it all.

Jake
02-04-2014, 09:54 AM
In2dknight -

I personally uses the yellow clay on all paint surfaces, the yellow clay isn't too aggressive at all. A lot of times people don't notice how badly the paint conditions are until using the clay bar to remove all surface contaminants. Other thing is you want to be careful when using the clay bar to always inspect the clay and knead it to get a clean fresh surface every time you do a section of the vehicle. Last but not least make sure if you ever accidentally drop the clay, you want to just toss it out. And make sure you do it in a up and down / side to side motion versus circular.

Thanks,

In2dknight
02-21-2014, 01:05 PM
I've come to the conclusion that perhaps the scratches were all ready there but at this point I'm going to do a paint correction job myself using PC DA and CG V series.

In2dknight -

I personally uses the yellow clay on all paint surfaces, the yellow clay isn't too aggressive at all. A lot of times people don't notice how badly the paint conditions are until using the clay bar to remove all surface contaminants. Other thing is you want to be careful when using the clay bar to always inspect the clay and knead it to get a clean fresh surface every time you do a section of the vehicle. Last but not least make sure if you ever accidentally drop the clay, you want to just toss it out. And make sure you do it in a up and down / side to side motion versus circular.

Thanks,